White Rock birds

Pictures? Jersey Giants *sometimes* have willow legs.
That said, when I got black hatchery Jersey Giants they were smaller than show quality Australorps.

That said, when I got black hatchery Jersey Giants they were smaller than show quality Australorps.
Hold on... so you're saying you had black australorps, general weight of like 9lbs for roosters and 7lbs for hens... and the black jersey giants were smaller than that?

I'll have some pics soon. But I think my biggest concern now is... I'm intending to cross these white birds with a Rhode island red rooster, (they're already together), and hope they come out as red sex links. If they're jersey giants instead of white rocks, will that change that?

Hold on... so you're saying you had black australorps, general weight of like 9lbs for roosters and 7lbs for hens... and the black jersey giants were smaller than that?
I had them years ago so I don’t remember much but I remember they were small. Bigger than hatchery Australorps but smaller than the exhibition type. And I’ve seen plenty of exhibition Australorps and they are a moderately large breed. Maybe they were same size as the exhibition Australorps. That was back before I weighed them and it is a fuzzy memory.
I'll have some pics soon. But I think my biggest concern now is... I'm intending to cross these white birds with a Rhode island red rooster, (they're already together), and hope they come out as red sex links. If they're jersey giants instead of white rocks, will that change that?
Yes
Jersey Giants are recessive white on a black base (and I don’t know whether they are gold or silver based).
Plymouth Rocks are dominant white, silver and barred (on a black base.)

Accurate weight and pictures will help ID what you have. White Jersey Giants should have willow legs. Yellow is a dq. Hatchery Jersey Giants are often very small and scrawny. I would be shocked if a hatchery Giant was anywhere close to standard weights.

Okay, so the white rock weighed out about 1 pound more than the barred rock... turns out having more breast meat doesn't always translate to actual weight. They're no jersey giants. Still, these would be excellent dual purpose birds.

Here's a pic of comparison

Attachments

• 20240129_190354.jpg
    20240129_190354.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 10
Okay, so the white rock weighed out about 1 pound more than the barred rock... turns out having more breast meat doesn't always translate to actual weight. They're no jersey giants. Still, these would be excellent dual purpose birds.

Here's a pic of comparison
How much did they weigh, however?

Back
Top Bottom