White RouenXMallard…..

CedarCreekCattleCo

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2022
Ok I’ve read about everything about how there can’t be white rouens etc etc… but I just hatched one this morning! The hens are rouens and are all 6th generation raised here in my ranch. When I bought the originals they came from our neighbor that has been raising from the same genetics for 15 years….the Drake was a Mallard which was 9th generation raised here on my farm….these are the only 2 breeds of ducks I have here….. and they have all been in a 60’x80’ enclosure with their own small pond inside it since I bought the originals……so there is no chance that they could of been crossed with something else…. It doesn’t have red eyes so not thinking albino but what about lucistic. I know a lot of other animals especially reptiles have that gene where they lack the pigment but are not albino… check out lucistic snake if you don’t know what that is… I’m really at a loss here! Hatched out 6 ducklings so far and the rest are all normal!!! On and the only other waterfowl on the property that have been in with them are White Chinese Geese!!

Attachments

• B96628CD-AFD0-4986-98E9-4569EC235B76.jpeg
    B96628CD-AFD0-4986-98E9-4569EC235B76.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 9
It is possible for it to be leucistic. If he has normal bill, feet, and a few normal feather colors he is leucistic. If everything about him is white and he has red eyes he is albino.

Leucism and albinism are both gene mutations affecting the amount of melanin present. Albinism is when there is no melanin at all and leucism when only a little to half of the melanin is gone.

Back
Top Bottom