White scales on combs

heather134

Chirping
Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
Hi there. We inherited our nine chickens about a year ago - most of them are about 4 years old but the oldest is about 8.

I noticed today that the combs for all of the same breed in the flock have white flecks on them Some have really small black scales. It doesn't look like typical fowl pox, unless all the photos I've found online are only after it's significantly progressed. Some of the chickens have white in their ear flaps too, but again from online searching it doesn't look like it's anything concerning, just coupled with the other issues I'm starting to worry!
pic 1.jpg

pic 4.jpg

The hen that seems the worst off is pictured here (both sides of her comb pictured). About a week ago I noticed that her comb was pale pink and her feathers seem much lighter than the others. She eats and drinks normally, and is just as active as the others.

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

Here's some additional info: They were great egg producers for a while. Then in August their egg production slowed. They were definitely molting at the time, but egg production never went up to where it was before. Now we're lucky to get 4 eggs a week. They're definitely done molting - all have soft downy feathers underneath and no patches. Their stools seem fine based on online pictures so I don't think it's parasites or worms. I've dug through their poop a few times and haven't seen anything, though also haven't had them tested. Checked their skin for mites/lice and can't see anything obvious, plus they get dust baths at least once a week if not more. It's winter here (around 30 degrees each day).

The past few days they haven't wanted to leave the coop without coaxing. They're usually out there, ready for scratch, when the sun rises. Once I coax them out to run in the yard they're relatively active. Of course it's been really cold in the mornings so maybe that's the problem? And maybe I'm overreacting, but something just seems off.
Thanks for any thoughts or advice, even if it's to tell me I'm crazy and they're fine :)

Black specks look like peck marks. The white, as said, is dryness, nothing to worry about. Most breeds lay really well for about the first two years. Then each year they start to slow down, it takes a little longer for their bodies to make an egg each time. Until eventually, if they live long enough, they will stop laying altogether. It is generally very gradual. As they get older they may only lay a couple of times a week or once a week, or even just every now and then. The older they get the more the length of daylight hours affects them. Birds stop laying when they molt, and usually the days are getting shorter then also. So the older they are the more likely that they will cease laying until the days start getting longer again in the spring. It varies by breed, age, and individual bird. When hens go out of lay their hormones are on vacation and their combs and wattles will often get much paler. They will redden up again as they come back into lay.

Thank you all! Ok, so I'm nuts. I just am baffled about the lack of eggs. They were laying twice as many a year ago. We were newbies and took lots of pictures with every egg!

Back
Top Bottom