White Watery Poop

SpicySloth

Hatching
Jan 14, 2024
I got 3 new chickens about a month ago. They've been in a separate coop next to my main coop. One hen, a welsummer, has always been more skittish than the other 2 australorps. She is much more hesitant to eat around me when the other 2 are around. She seems to eat fine when I pull her out from the group. She mostly stands towards the back of their small run and keeps to her self. She seems healthy. Clear eyes and nose, empty crop in the morning, no lice or mites, no fluffed feathers or lameness. She is much smaller than the australorps so I'm not sure of she just has a more reserved personality, if she's being bullied (I haven't seen anything) or if she's sick.

I just gave my entire flock a dose of corrid because I found some clear jelly in one of their poop. They finished the 5 day dose a few days ago. I did not supplement with extra vitamins afterwards because I was unaware I was supposed to, but I added some pro/prebiotics with vitamin B to their water today.

I have a small coop in my garage that I moved the girls into last night because we have a big storm coming with negative temps. This morning the welsummer didn't come out of the coop until 11am. I haven't seen her drink today but she had eaten some. Her poop is watery and whitish. Google says Pullorum disease and now I'm very worried. I read you have to cull your whole flock if they have it and I'm freaking out a little. Is this poop indicative of Pullorum? If not, what could be wrong? Am I being paranoid?

Attachments

• 20240114_130150.jpg
    20240114_130150.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 61
Is she acting off? Her comb/wattles pale? It doesn't sound like pullorum disease to me.
On another note here is a great article on poop and how to tell what your chickens poop means:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
I havent had her long so it's hard to say if shes acting off. She is pretty quiet and stays to herself but I can't tell if it's because she is so much smaller and lower on the pecking order or because shes feeling unwell. Her comb seems maybe a little smaller than usual but not pale. I really hope it isn't pullorum. I'll look at the link you sent, thank you!

I just gave my entire flock a dose of corrid because I found some clear jelly in one of their poop. They finished the 5 day dose a few days ago. I did not supplement with extra vitamins afterwards because I was unaware I was supposed to, but I added some pro/prebiotics with vitamin B to their water today.
Photos of the hen?

How old is she?

What dose of Corid did you give?

It's good that you did not supplement extra vitamins during treatment of Corid since those can be contradictory. And it's not absolutely necessary to give supplements after treatment unless you wish too. A normal 5-7 course of Corid should not leave a bird deficient.

The poop has a lot of urates (white) which can often indicate dehydration. I wouldn't necessarily jump to Pullorum because of white in poop.
If possible, take a sample of the poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are part of the problem.

Work on hydration. Electrolytes for a few hours each day, then offer plain water. See that she's eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.

Photos of the hen?

How old is she?

What dose of Corid did you give?

It's good that you did not supplement extra vitamins during treatment of Corid since those can be contradictory. And it's not absolutely necessary to give supplements after treatment unless you wish too. A normal 5-7 course of Corid should not leave a bird deficient.

The poop has a lot of urates (white) which can often indicate dehydration. I wouldn't necessarily jump to Pullorum because of white in poop.
If possible, take a sample of the poop to your vet for a fecal float to see if worms and/or Coccidiosis are part of the problem.

Work on hydration. Electrolytes for a few hours each day, then offer plain water. See that she's eating a nutritionally balanced poultry feed.
Shes about 3 yrs old. I gave her corrid at 2 tsp/gal for 5 days but the water got frozen one of the days so I dumped the corrid water and they had fresh water for a while on one day until I replenished the corrid water. Could this be coccidisis even after corrid? I also gave all hens pour on ivermectin a couple weeks ago as a preventative since her and 2 others are new to our flock. They all got 2 treatments that were 14 days apart.

I pulled her apart from the flock this morning and gave her some pellets soaked in vitamin water and some yogurt which she ate some of. I didn't see her drink. She was pretty stressed about being pulled out. I got a few more pics of her poo this morning.

Her and the other 2 have been moved around a lot lately. Ive been trying to integrate them into our current flock but there has been some fighting so we are taking it slow. They were in a small separate coop, now they are separated but in the same coop. Then they got moved into my garage for this big storm we are getting. Could it be stress? Sorry this is so long and thank you for your help!

Attachments

• 20240115_100705.jpg
    20240115_100705.jpg
    684 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240115_103807.jpg
    20240115_103807.jpg
    703.3 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240115_102545.jpg
    20240115_102545.jpg
    537.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240115_100721.jpg
    20240115_100721.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240115_101939.jpg
    20240115_101939.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 3
Could this be coccidisis even after corrid? I also gave all hens pour on ivermectin a couple weeks ago as a preventative since her and 2 others are new to our flock. They all got 2 treatments that were 14 days apart.
What's the Ivermectin for - mites?

I'd consider deworming if you haven't done so. Getting a fecal float is the best way to go, but sometimes there's no access to vet care.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good dewormers to use.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This will treat most worms poultry have except for Tapeworms.

What's the Ivermectin for - mites?

I'd consider deworming if you haven't done so. Getting a fecal float is the best way to go, but sometimes there's no access to vet care.

Safeguard (Fenbendazole) or Valbazen (Albendazole) are both good dewormers to use.

To treat Roundworms Only - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days.

To treat most worms that poultry can have except for Tapeworm - Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once a day for 5 days in a row.

Valbazen dose is 0.08ml per pound of weight given orally once, then repeated in 10 days. This will treat most worms poultry have except for Tapeworms.
I gave her and her other 2 flock mates ivermectin was a catch all preventative for worms and mites/lice since they are new and I didn't want them bringing anything to my current flock. Although ivermectin is not effective against tape worms. Could this be tape worms?

I will start searching for someone who can do a fecal float test but there aren't many avian vets near me.

Back
Top Bottom