Who Laid This Egg?

LilChickens2

Songster
Nov 20, 2015
Crozet VA
I have eight hens. Two, both Golden Comets, have been laying regularly, and their eggs are the big ones (One of the GCs, Hilda, decided to show off and lay a double yolker, which is why there is a Humongous one in the middle). Now I have a third one laying, second day in a row, a small egg. It's almost half the size of a normal egg. Here are my suspects (all between 22-26 weeks of age):
Dominique
Jersey Giant
Buff Orpington
RIR
White Cochin

Who would most likely lay small eggs?

Here's a pic:

Most start out laying small eggs that slowly get larger, I would see which one is more vocal and has a bright red comb, most of those breeds lay eggs that color.

They all are giving "signs" unfortunately....reddening combs, hunkering down, talking a lot, checking out the nest box, etc. All my other chickens have never started laying small eggs that got progressively bigger...they just started laying big eggs right away. When I saw this one, the first day I thought it was a fart egg, but the very next day, there it was again, another small egg and no hen that admitted to it.

I would guess the buff orpington laid that one. My buff orpington is laying (has been for several months) and they're pretty small. I'm not thrilled with the size of her eggs at all. I'm hoping they eventually get bigger.

Back
Top Bottom