Who's your daddy? (and your mommy?)..Birmingham roller babies

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I seem to have confused myself! I have had 2 baby rollers hatched this year. They are from different nest times but were hatched in the same nest box. I posted when the first was a baby that the parents were an 'ash red' (male) and a reduced t-pattern blue check (female), but now with the second baby I'm thinking it was a red mottle (female) and a reduced t-pattern blue check (male). Here are some pics of the potential parents and pics of one of the babies. I'm almost certain the parents were the red mottle and reduced, but both 'babies' look identical. Help!!

Some of the pictures are not so good, and I apologize
sad.png

First is the red mottle hen
DSC00743.jpg

and her mate, reduced t-pattern blue check
DSC00744.jpg

Next is the 'ash red' male
DSC01095.jpg

and his mate, reduced t-pattern blue check
DSC00746.jpg

And the youngest of the 2 babies (both are identical in color)
DSC01092.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

DSC01091.jpg

Again, I'm almost positive mom to the baby was the red mottle, unless she was just sleeping in the nest with the baby? Could I get 2 identical-looking birds from 4 non-related birds? The reduceds were a mated pair before I got them but took new mates after arriving here. The red mottle and 'ash red' are not related either.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm not really sure what color the 'ash red' is, the jury is still out on that one. The breeder who gave me the red mottle told me that's what she was...since he's been breeding them for years I'll go with what he says
smile.png

Well, the "ash-red" male is actually a homozygous blue indigo, which creates an ash-red mimic. As far as I can tell anyway. But it is indigo regardless of the base color. The two babies also appear to be indigo.

Back
Top Bottom