Why are my hens not laying?!?!

My hens usually dig a small crater like hole in the past they make a nest at the base of perennials, in tall grass, one even had leaves nearby and pushed some leaves to cover the eggs.

There are feeds that help with molting called "Feather Fixer" but this isn't organic. I haven't looking into organic feed before.
Feather fixer is awesome.

If they are molting, feed them a special feed its called Feather Fixer you get it at tractor supply, its higher in protein and helps them to grow back their feathers faster. Its great stuff.
Feather fixer is awesome.
Feather Fixer is a marketing ploy (long story-started as a mite deterrent).
It's 18% protein which is good, but still has 3-4% calcium which non-laying birds do not need.

My chickens have stopped laying, almost completely already. The temps have been low at night- in the 60's and highs in the mid 80's in the day. 12 hrs of sunlight.
One is old (5 yr old Mottled Orpington, see avatar, lays about 3 eggs a month) , one is molting (2 yr old Black Copper Marans, genetic issues- cross beak, blind in one eye, frequently lays very bloody eggs). The two pullets (both 1 yr olds - a Speckled Sussex and a Light Brown Leghorn) have been carrying the load for over a month now. I get anywhere from 0 to 2 pullet eggs a day. Will be glad to see if the eggs get larger in the spring. But have to say am disappointed in the size of the pullet eggs. I am so embarrassed to be seen buying eggs at the store.
I have ordered 4 chicks coming next week. In the spring, we will see who stays and who goes - the Orpington and BCM are safe from being traded off.

Hey everyone in case you don’t know I have 6 hens and 1 rooster and five of the hens are 1 year old. The other hen is almost 10 months old. All of the sudden they have stopped laying if you have any idea why please let me know.

Thanks,
Owen

I’ve noticed a few reasons over the years:
1) If one molts they all stop laying till it’s complete. 2) If there’s a stressful event like a predator attack - they stop laying for a few weeks. 3) Big weather shifts like we’ve had recently in NC (95 one day and 80 the next) or long periods of rain will stop laying till the season straightens out some. 4) Snakes, rats, small possums can get in the smallest holes eat and leave.

Umm no I am in the fields of NC right near the middle. What will molting do to affect them?
When my chickens molt i give them a bowl of chick starter 19% protein mixed with water and they get through their molt faster and they love it and think it is a treat!

I agree with Padfoot that there are many reasons and that it could be a combination of reasons as well. Mine have stopped laying for the past 4-6 weeks now. I have asked many fellow "chicken tenders" in my area and everyone is saying the same thing. I live in central Virginia, so it could be due to weather conditions, light shifts, predator/snake visits, molting disturbances... I have 10 adult hens, 4 pullets and a roo and have been getting 1-2 days daily for a long time now! I have never had this issue before. They free range on 2 acres, but I have also shut kept them in the run for many days during the August rains and absolutely no difference in the number of eggs. I have also searched everywhere and have never found any where they roam. Right now I am trying to add a little light at the end of the day to see if that helps stimulate them.

I agree with Padfoot that there are many reasons and that it could be a combination of reasons as well. Mine have stopped laying for the past 4-6 weeks now. I have asked many fellow "chicken tenders" in my area and everyone is saying the same thing. I live in central Virginia, so it could be due to weather conditions, light shifts, predator/snake visits, molting disturbances... I have 10 adult hens, 4 pullets and a roo and have been getting 1-2 days daily for a long time now! I have never had this issue before. They free range on 2 acres, but I have also shut kept them in the run for many days during the August rains and absolutely no difference in the number of eggs. I have also searched everywhere and have never found any where they roam. Right now I am trying to add a little light at the end of the day to see if that helps stimulate them.
Ok thanks.

Back
Top Bottom