Why are my yolks coming out scrambled?

natyvidal

Songster
5 Years
Mar 1, 2018
Dade City, Florida
Hi everyone! The weirdest thing is happening when I crack my eggs to cook them.
A bit of history first.
I’ve been keeping layers for several years and selling their eggs. Never had issues before.

During the week I collect and keep the eggs on a table in my lanai. Outdoors. Sometimes on their side in a container or on an egg carton with point down. Recently I’ve been away for almost two weeks and had two different persons taking. Are of my flock.

So by the time I came back I realized I had to many old eggs that I should not sell so I separated them to scramble for my flock and for the family to eat. The thing is the older ones maybe 2-3 weeks old only, are coming out scrambled!

I’ve kept eggs outside on this table for three years. I’ve never seen this happening before. This lanai can be hot in the summer or cold in the winter. But the temperature is constant at either time. No abrupt changes. I also do not wash or clean my eggs until delivery day.

When I crack the eggs they are not smelly. They smell like eggs. And. I’ve kept unwashed eggs before, up to a month on my kitchen counter and when used they were fine.

Questions:
Why is this happening now?
Could it be bacterial?
My flock wasn’t treated correctly in my absence?
something in their feed?
Nest boxes weren’t clean as often?
Eggs were not collected diligently every day?
And being fertile got damaged. (I have 2 roosters.)

i am posting pictures.

Thank you for your input and info.

The last picture with whole yolks are from this week and last week. They are perfect.

Attachments

• DD0E416B-4914-4EA8-AA95-D1BF99402E51.jpeg
    DD0E416B-4914-4EA8-AA95-D1BF99402E51.jpeg
    456.7 KB · Views: 104
  • F5D86790-FFB8-461D-BF32-33E292965B94.jpeg
    F5D86790-FFB8-461D-BF32-33E292965B94.jpeg
    388.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 8B766ACD-14DA-42DB-9D39-CD8C0B71C4C9.jpeg
    8B766ACD-14DA-42DB-9D39-CD8C0B71C4C9.jpeg
    436.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 6D8A81D1-BA8E-4764-A027-70A16081684A.jpeg
    6D8A81D1-BA8E-4764-A027-70A16081684A.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 5E9A8874-1488-4614-8968-CBD23B0E881C.jpeg
    5E9A8874-1488-4614-8968-CBD23B0E881C.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 34
Hi everyone! The weirdest thing is happening when I crack my eggs to cook them.
A bit of history first.
I’ve been keeping layers for several years and selling their eggs. Never had issues before.

During the week I collect and keep the eggs on a table in my lanai. Outdoors. Sometimes on their side in a container or on an egg carton with point down. Recently I’ve been away for almost two weeks and had two different persons taking. Are of my flock.

So by the time I came back I realized I had to many old eggs that I should not sell so I separated them to scramble for my flock and for the family to eat. The thing is the older ones maybe 2-3 weeks old only, are coming out scrambled!

I’ve kept eggs outside on this table for three years. I’ve never seen this happening before. This lanai can be hot in the summer or cold in the winter. But the temperature is constant at either time. No abrupt changes. I also do not wash or clean my eggs until delivery day.

When I crack the eggs they are not smelly. They smell like eggs. And. I’ve kept unwashed eggs before, up to a month on my kitchen counter and when used they were fine.

Questions:
Why is this happening now?
Could it be bacterial?
My flock wasn’t treated correctly in my absence?
something in their feed?
Nest boxes weren’t clean as often?
Eggs were not collected diligently every day?
And being fertile got damaged. (I have 2 roosters.)

i am posting pictures.

Thank you for your input and info.

The last picture with whole yolks are from this week and last week.

Temperature consistency, & age weaken yolks. Eggs that are pre incubated tend have yolks that break almost immediately after cracking.

You can scramble an egg inside the shell. I've seen all different contraptions people have made to spin the eggs. It appears they have to be shaken, or spun, very quickly, and the yolk will mix. It actually makes for a pretty cool hard boiled egg. Is there a chance the person collecting your eggs was shaking them up? It seems unlikely, but it's the only explanation I have.

Last edited:
Thank you! To answer all of you.

The weather has been hot! 95 and up.

Some of these eggs were two or three weeks old. Remember I had a two weeks trip.

Since the help has been collecting eggs, the eggs might have been left overnight under broodies. Making them more sensitive to heat.

Yes, when I arrived I found some broodies that they were supposed to remove them.

And last, when cooking scrambled eggs: to crack them I do tap them on the border of the dish. To crack the shell

So, since this older eggs that are coming out scrambled, but do not seem to be bad…can I still use them to feed my flock? Scrambled?

Back
Top Bottom