Why aren't my hens laying?

Miss Lori

Hatching
Jun 30, 2023
I have two Speckled Sussex hens and one Black Australorp hen that were hatched late February 2022. They started laying at about 5 months old and were laying regularly until late April this year, then they all stopped laying. The Australorp is now laying 2-3 eggs a week, but the Sussex hens still haven't laid a single egg. Nothing has changed and they are very healthy, have good appetites and no parasites. Is this normal? When should I expect them to get back to laying?

:welcome After laying through a winter, It is not unusual for hens to take a break in their laying cycle. They may even go through a molt before resuming egg production.

I have two Speckled Sussex hens and one Black Australorp hen that were hatched late February 2022. They started laying at about 5 months old and were laying regularly until late April this year, then they all stopped laying. The Australorp is now laying 2-3 eggs a week, but the Sussex hens still haven't laid a single egg. Nothing has changed and they are very healthy, have good appetites and no parasites. Is this normal? When should I expect them to get back to laying?
Where are you located. If you are on the other side of the equator its winter and they would stop laying. That's pretty normal. If you are on this side of the equator and they laid all through winter i would say they are taking a break. It's not really all that healthy for them to lay year round. The system needs a reboot period.

Where are you located. If you are on the other side of the equator its winter and they would stop laying. That's pretty normal. If you are on this side of the equator and they laid all through winter i would say they are taking a break. It's not really all that healthy for them to lay year round. The system needs a reboot period.
I am in North Carolina.

After laying through a winter, It is not unusual for hens to take a break in their laying cycle. They may even go through a molt before resuming egg production.
Ditto Dat^^^

Are they free range?
What all and how exactly are you feeding?

I am in North Carolina
Welcome to BYC! @Miss Lori
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1688205613909.png

The most common reason hens are not laying is the molt. I know it is the wrong time of the year for the seasonal molt, but there are other things that could trigger one. After they have laid continuously for a long period, generally over a year, they can get worn out and may take a break. Yours were not laying quite that long but it may put them in a position where something might trigger a molt more easily than normal. Different things can trigger a molt out of season, possibly involving stress. A change in length of daylight where the day appears to get shorter to them can trigger one. It does not have to be something you did intentionally, a street light or security light shutting down could do it. From what you've described this is my top guess.

Another possible explanation is that they are hiding a nest from you. This happens a lot. They can be experts at hiding nests from predators, they did it well enough to survive in the wild before they were domesticated. You are probably easier than many of those predators, especially if they free range.

In NC you have many predators that eat eggs. Most leave traces like shells or wet spots but snakes, canines, and humans do not. If it is consistent it is not a snake. A snake eats eggs and then disappears for a few days while they digest the eggs, then come back for more. Coyotes and foxes would be more interested in your hens so probably not them but a dog may eat eggs and leave your hens alone. Does a dog have access? A human does not necessarily mean a thief, some people think this type of thing is a good practical joke. But this has gone on for months and has been too consistent for too long. And you have started getting that one hen's eggs. This doesn't feel right.

So what can you do? Mark an egg and leave it down there. If it disappears something is getting them. Or if you can lock them up in the coop/run if they free range or in the coop only if it is big enough and you start getting eggs then either they are hiding a nest or you locked out an egg eating predator.

To me this has all the signs that something triggered an out of season molt and all you can do is wait. But a hidden nest is possible.

They are not free ranged. They have an 8x8 coop and a 10x20 run made from dog lot panels covered in hardware cloth and a tightly woven shade cloth over the top. It is very secure! They have a six hole next box in the coop and there is no where they could hide eggs. The Australorp lays a bigger egg than the Sussex, so I know it is her eggs that I am getting. They are fed Dumor 17% All Flock free choice, have oyster shell and dried egg shells free choice, get a handful of scratch feed in the morning, and have plenty of clean water. I also give them vegetable scraps on occasion and give them a little pulled grass and clover most days. I also have a small chicken tractor so they can be in the yard when I am working outside. Really haven't been any changes since last summer. I thought maybe they were going to molt, but they are not.

One thought could be the feed might be where the problem is. Although I have used that brand and I don't think I have had any problems. I do have a strange story with mine. I have 2 older ones, a New Hampshire Red, and and Black sex link. They are now 6 years old. Last year, the New Hampshire Red laid eggs from about January to maybe June. The Black sex link laid eggs for about for 4 months and then stopped. I honestly believed they were at the end of their egg laying cycle. The black one didn't lay an egg for about 8 months and then in January 2023, they started laying eggs again. They were prolific. They laid eggs up until June, I think. The black one started molting so I know that was why she stopped. I have no idea if they will start up again in January, but I heard someone say that their chicken was 9 years old and still laying eggs, so that gives me hope.

Also, chickens generally do not lay many eggs when it is very hot out. Something else to consider.

Back
Top Bottom