Why do chicks pip on the bottom? Several lost chicks...

DawnSuiter

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
Well.. I was encouraged to create this thread to see if maybe anyone knows why I seem to be having so many upside down chicks at hatch time. Here's the deal:

I would've never figured anything could happen here that doesn't happen regularly, but maybe I was wrong..

Out of EVERY hatch, thats 3 now I've had 1 chick pip on the bottom of the egg. The BOTTOM of the LARGE end... opposite of the hatching ones who pip on the TOP of the large end. My last incubation ended tonight with the only chick dying in the shell. I checked the bator took the egg out and found that it was stuck to the liner on my hardware cloth, it had pipped on the bottom.

I also lost another fully developed, yolk absorbed chick, but this one pipped normally on the top of the large end and just never zipped. I figured it was somewhat normal.. not to worry.. but now.. not so sure.

My eggs were all turned by hovabator turners... chickens upright, turkey in duck turners on their side and transferred to the hatcher and laid on their sides. For turkey, I even candled to make sure the air cell was upright when I did put him into the hatcher because I suspected something was happening with them being upside down.

Any ideas? Humidy & temp all within normal parameters and each and every chick was fully developed and had absorbed their yolk. For the turkey hatch there is nothing to compare it to until next week, when the rest of the turkeys are due...

If they are getting stuck to things I'd question the humidity. Mine pipped all over the large end of the egg and it didn't impact which ones finished hatching. Getting stuck to the egg or floor though would cause problems. I can also see how getting stuck to the inside of the egg from low humidity could cause them to be unable to position right and pip different.

Ok.. there is something... but something I've only noticed in shipped eggs, which are that the aircells are shaped oddly... but I attributed that to the shipping.

I just candled my 3 remaining eggs... they do not slide around inside the shell like I would've expected them to, but two air cells look perfect, like the photos, the other looks like two air cells, with a peak on the side... so it's too big...

this is so odd, because my hovabator instructions were wrong so it had me filling the wrong tray and my humidity stayed at like 55%.. it was only two weeks ago that I learned that it was wrong and started filling the correct tray which balanced out at around 48%...

does ELEVATION play a part in incubation? I live in the mountains... we're not high +/-2000' , but maybe high enough to affect some things???

I did my first hatch and the same thing happened to quite a few of my eggs - I had alot of developed chicks not hatch and got stuck in the membrane....I only got a 35% hatch - 12 out of 42 but I did throw out about6 on day 11 because they were not fertile...so i guess that isnt too bad for my first time at this....

Yes hovabators do have some extra instructions for high altitude. The only one I can remember is to remove the vent plugs.

Back
Top Bottom