Why Do My Hens Squawk So Loudly?

JuChicks

In the Brooder
May 23, 2020
Does anybody know why my hens are being so loud in the morning? They do sound that goes like this (excuse my mispronunciation): ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-ba-BAW_ BAWK It's SO obnoxiously loud and can be heard from inside the house and I'm worried that it's bothering my neighbors (I live in the suburbs). None of my chickens used to do this until I added 3 new chickens to the flock a few months ago and they ALL started to make this sound. They stand outside the henhouse and squawk like that after laying, so it's not the egg song. I've asked some friends that have chickens and none of their hens make this sound...

Anybody know why they do this and how to fix it?

I have a bantam and four standards that do this. I find it so adorable when the bantam does it. She kind of squeaks. They do it after laying too and all I can think of is it’s to let the rooster know they have laid their egg. My roosters do go running at the sound of the hen making this noise. They take a look at her then go back to what they were doing. I think hens sing regardless of whether or not a rooster is around though.

I have asked my neighbors if the chickens bother them and all of them had said no. I’m in a rural village but our property is by no means far apart. You can always ask your neighbors if the noise bothers them.

None of my chickens used to do this until I added 3 new chickens to the flock a few months ago and they ALL started to make this sound.
Not surprising.
How old are all these birds(in months)?
How much space do they have(in feet by feet)?
Dimensions and pics would help here

Anybody know why they do this and how to fix it?
Remove the birds. :D
Chickens can be loud, not much you can do about it.

Not surprising.
How old are all these birds(in months)?
How much space do they have(in feet by feet)?
Dimensions and pics would help here

Remove the birds. :D
Chickens can be loud, not much you can do about it.
I have 7 chickens, 4 are about 14 months old and the others are about 10 months old. The henhouse is 4x4 with 4 egg boxes. There is 1 part of the run that is 8x8 and covered and the other part of the run is about 12x25.

I'll try to get some pictures of the run ASAP.

That's the Egg Song, or at least that's what people around me call it. I think it is a natural instinct that used to be used to lure predators away from their nests by drawing attention towards themselves rather than their precious nests and eggs. My roosters like copying the hens when they do it, but only maybe a handful of mine ever sing, anyways, so I'm never bothered by it, and my neighbors love hearing chickens so they've never cared.

I'm not sure if this story/reason is true but it makes sense to me!

Back
Top Bottom