Why does chicken stare at me when I pet it?

pinecone33

Chirping
Aug 1, 2022
Västra Götaland Sverige
i hope this question is not weird but I have this 10-11 week chicken and it sits down next to me sometimes and I pet it’s stomach and it just stares at me or bends it’s neck and follows my finger around when I pet it but it doesn’t run away. This chicken has always been forward and ever since it was a baby chick it would jump in my hand and just sit there I suspect it just likes being pet but I am not sure because it stares a lot and follows my hand whenever I pet it but it doesn’t peck or anything it just stares but I’d rather ask some experienced people because I haven’t seen this before. Down below are some pictures of the chicken by the way (not that it adds anything I just wanted to add pictures of it 😅)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    540.3 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    509.8 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 19
Just making sure your hands aren't going anywhere she doesn't like or that you'll make a grab for her throat, they're prey animals, it's instinct.

i hope this question is not weird but I have this 10-11 week chicken and it sits down next to me sometimes and I pet it’s stomach and it just stares at me or bends it’s neck and follows my finger around when I pet it but it doesn’t run away. This chicken has always been forward and ever since it was a baby chick it would jump in my hand and just sit there I suspect it just likes being pet but I am not sure because it stares a lot and follows my hand whenever I pet it but it doesn’t peck or anything it just stares but I’d rather ask some experienced people because I haven’t seen this before. Down below are some pictures of the chicken by the way (not that it adds anything I just wanted to add pictures of it 😅)
If the chicken in these pictures is your "10-11 week old chicken," I'm sorry to tell you but it's a cockerel. Those are huge red comb and wattles for that age. Cockerels are the friendliest chicks in a group a lot of times but once they really start to mature (as yours is) they can turn into little monsters. Soon he'll start mating behavior with the girls and they might or might not be ready for it, so be ready for things to change with him.

Here's a post from a couple weeks ago of someone going through some issues with their 15 week cockerel-just to give an idea of what could happen (not saying yours will act just like this.)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/teenage-rooster-issues.1539075/#post-25966623

Back
Top Bottom