Why does my duck's wing look like this?

valeria-

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2022
The person we got the duck from said that they clipped the duck's wing to prevent him from flying but I've looked up clipped pekin wings and none look like this :(
SmartSelect_20220803-170738_Gallery.jpg

It also could just be damage to the wing from mating. My Pekin has wings like that because she hasn't molted in over a year. Over time her wing feathers have been damaged by a drake mating and another drake going after her. We got rid of the second drake over a year ago, but she has never molted. If she ever molts like a normal duck, the damaged feathers will a be replaced. The same will happen here with your duck. The season for molting is starting, so hopefully soon those feathers will be replaced.

The wings were clipped a bit short. It is a bit silly to clip a pekin's wing since they are the least likely to ever be able to fly.

The person we got the duck from said that they clipped the duck's wing to prevent him from flying but I've looked up clipped pekin wings and none look like this :( View attachment 3210773
I have two rescued pekins -- they were dumped back in April and were in horrible condition -- that had wings just like your ducks when I found them. Like yours, they had clearly had their wings clipped by someone who didn;t know what they were doing. Pekins do nto need their wings clipping. The feathers were cut far to close tot he wing through the part that has a blood supply. It must have been awful for the ducks at the time it was done. One of mine has now fully regrown normal wing feathers and he now looks gorgeous! The second one still looks like yours, but I expect his and your duck's wing feathers will grow back normally when they moult.

I was just snuggling my drake duckling earlier this evening and admiring with wonder as his brand new wing feathers start to come in... I hope your beautiful duckie will molt soon and be restored to his fabulously feathered self. ♥️ I can't even imagine taking scissors to a poor animal without knowing WTH I was doing. :(

It also could just be damage to the wing from mating. My Pekin has wings like that because she hasn't molted in over a year. Over time her wing feathers have been damaged by a drake mating and another drake going after her. We got rid of the second drake over a year ago, but she has never molted. If she ever molts like a normal duck, the damaged feathers will a be replaced. The same will happen here with your duck. The season for molting is starting, so hopefully soon those feathers will be replaced.

The wings were clipped a bit short. It is a bit silly to clip a pekin's wing since they are the least likely to ever be able to fly.

I have two rescued pekins -- they were dumped back in April and were in horrible condition -- that had wings just like your ducks when I found them. Like yours, they had clearly had their wings clipped by someone who didn;t know what they were doing. Pekins do nto need their wings clipping. The feathers were cut far to close tot he wing through the part that has a blood supply. It must have been awful for the ducks at the time it was done. One of mine has now fully regrown normal wing feathers and he now looks gorgeous! The second one still looks like yours, but I expect his and your duck's wing feathers will grow back normally when they moult.
I'm so happy to hear your duck had their feathers grow back. I was so concerned and heartbroken when I read the other replies to my post saying his feathers were cut too short and it likely hurt :((((((( I wish your other duck a speedy recovery ❤️

Back
Top Bottom