Why does my rooster act like he hates me?

Maine-iac4chix

Chirping
Apr 23, 2021
PATTEN maine
I see there are similar threads but i wanted my question answered specific, I'm not a newbie to having a flock although I'm a newbie to having a huge rooster, that until a few weeks ago sought my company and seemed comfortable when i was around, even more than if i wasn't, he's super smart, he comes across 300 yard field to the house I've been staying at for a few wks that's in the same property but out of sight of my camp and the chicken coupe, so he brings his 3 hens up stands under the window where he can hear me and my tv and crows until i feed him, and he only crows for food, only crowing at night if i go outside, we do have predators but he seems to be calling to me, so his behavior towards me is very similar to how he treats his one hen that he breeds (the other two are to small he doesn't even attempt) he tips wing to ground and comes at me sideways like he does to her, he also runs me down and karate kicks me from behind full speed but ONLY if my back is to him, and he only does this to me, he will Crow until i knock on window and talk to him but if i go outside he stalks me, runs me down his me full speed tryna spurr me, WHAT DO I DO? I saw an article on here about what to do with a roo with this behavior but he's huge and for me to do as the article says then I'll get injured, not sure what to do other than pen him up.. It hurts my feelings more than he actually hurts me but it's getting bothersome.. In another note i have a bantam hen that has apparently imprinted with me instead of her roo and flock, she also has moved from couping with the other 3 and stays under the porch up in the floor joices, where I've been for a few weeks is that normal? she followed me up and moved.. Does not coupe with them, lol so not only do i have a roo that acts like hate me i have a hen that thinks I'm her roo maybe that's half why he's pissed at me..i dunno...i just got home, he's now crowing for me immediately to knowing I'm home, he will find me down my camp ir up here at main house in the property (not where i live I've only been staying up here for a few weeks now) he travels down to the camp to coupe at night and back up here at daybreak for chow.. I've had meat roos that would sit docile in my lap but attack everyone else but this one just wants to get me, but he is displaying somewhat similar behavior with his hens but his calling to me is quite different.. He doesn't crow for other reasons roosters crow, seems like it's only for me and only for food
Did i mention he's huge??? Lol yeah i did
20211116_132135.jpg

I see there are similar threads but i wanted my question answered specific, I'm not a newbie to having a flock although I'm a newbie to having a huge rooster, that until a few weeks ago sought my company and seemed comfortable when i was around, even more than if i wasn't, he's super smart, he comes across 300 yard field to the house I've been staying at for a few wks that's in the same property but out of sight of my camp and the chicken coupe, so he brings his 3 hens up stands under the window where he can hear me and my tv and crows until i feed him, and he only crows for food, only crowing at night if i go outside, we do have predators but he seems to be calling to me, so his behavior towards me is very similar to how he treats his one hen that he breeds (the other two are to small he doesn't even attempt) he tips wing to ground and comes at me sideways like he does to her, he also runs me down and karate kicks me from behind full speed but ONLY if my back is to him, and he only does this to me, he will Crow until i knock on window and talk to him but if i go outside he stalks me, runs me down his me full speed tryna spurr me, WHAT DO I DO? I saw an article on here about what to do with a roo with this behavior but he's huge and for me to do as the article says then I'll get injured, not sure what to do other than pen him up.. It hurts my feelings more than he actually hurts me but it's getting bothersome.. In another note i have a bantam hen that has apparently imprinted with me instead of her roo and flock, she also has moved from couping with the other 3 and stays under the porch up in the floor joices, where I've been for a few weeks is that normal? she followed me up and moved.. Does not coupe with them, lol so not only do i have a roo that acts like hate me i have a hen that thinks I'm her roo maybe that's half why he's pissed at me..i dunno...i just got home, he's now crowing for me immediately to knowing I'm home, he will find me down my camp ir up here at main house in the property (not where i live I've only been staying up here for a few weeks now) he travels down to the camp to coupe at night and back up here at daybreak for chow.. I've had meat roos that would sit docile in my lap but attack everyone else but this one just wants to get me, but he is displaying somewhat similar behavior with his hens but his calling to me is quite different.. He doesn't crow for other reasons roosters crow, seems like it's only for me and only for food
View attachment 2907083
Aww, he's a Light Sussex. I'm looking after one called Henry and he's a big chap to.
Before the kill the rooster brigade arrive may I suggest you read this article.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/understanding-your-rooster.75056/
There is almost always a reason for their behaviour. It's working out what that reason is. You may like many others not have the patience, or be too scared of him to want to do any more than have him gone.
Have a read. See if you can identify anything in your behaviour that could be changed without too much trouble and give him a chance.

Have you been wearing anything different lately? Like a new colored coat or anything? Those can through roos of. Whenever I wear a poncho out there, my goose gets nervous around me.

Probably one of the most debated topics in the chicken keeping world so brace yourself for the mixed responses. I personally think with roosters and any other species there are the good, the bad and the simply misunderstood. My cousin's rooster held them all hostage when they were children in their own home by guarding the door attempting to spur anyone that tried to leave. The pastor of their church ended up showing up with a 12 gauge and took care of that one. Although I think that rooster was doomed from the beginning considering they named him Chuckie after the doll when they first brought him home. So I don't think it's impossible for rooster to be a complete nut, but I do think it's fairly rare for one to become aggressive to that extent. If you aren't wanting to add another roast to your freezer I would first start by making sure you are wearing protective clothing anytime you are around your chickens boots (or at least closed toed shoes), pants, long sleeves and even a nice thick jacket. Trust me when I say that if a rooster decides they actually want to sink their spurs into you instead of giving a warning it is not a pleasant experience. I would recommend never turning your back to your rooster. You may even need to close off your coop when you are inside to keep him from sneak attacking you. Growing up on the farm one of the first things we were taught was to never turn our backs to any fully intact male livestock regardless of species, how small or non-intimidating they seemed. Another thing to consider is that animals can sense your emotions, they pay a lot more attention to body language then we do and notice every little change in their environment. Something as simple as a wearing a hat when you never wear one or turning to wave to someone can cause be perceived as a threat to them. Your rooster is right in the hormonal stage where all of his rooster instincts are flooding his senses at once so be sure to put your safety first when you are around him and never let your guard down even if he does seem to calm down.

I've never had a rooster, but I've always heard more about how nasty they are more than how nice they are. I suppose it's just a matter of who you talk to on the forum. I personally would not have one because we live in town and they are annoying to the neighbors close by . However, if I were on a farm, I'd most likely have one, even if he was mean. I think maybe I'd make sure he knows who's boss when I'm working in the coop. LOL....

View attachment 2907083
The rooster has your number, it's that simple.
In his eyes all you are good for is food, other than that he considers you another creature to dominate.
I'm in the 'boot the rooster' brigade, not the 'kill the rooster' army - at least, not until you have attempted to teach him who is the boss and he either gets it, or keeps up his attacking.
Roosters will take as much as you allow, and then attempt to push you further.

1)STOP FEEDING HIM ON HIS DEMAND.

Have the food out before he arrives, or whenever you damned well feel like it. Do not go out when he crows, he can either eat what you have put out, when you put it out, or he can receive a corn broom swishing in his face.

2)MAKE A POINT OF GOING OUT TO LOOK FOR HIM, AND THEN CHASE HIM UNTIL HE RUNS.

If you need to take an umbrella to open and close and flap at him to keep him off you - or, wear good boots, thick pants and jogging pants over those, if he has larger spurs. Then, chase him and kick at him, exactly as another rooster would do - *chasing and kicking is the language roosters use with each other* to decide who is dominant. Hens will occasionally kick too, but more often they run at one another, and will thump the other bird with their chests unlessofirst other bird gets out of the wsy. It's where the term 'playing chicken' comes from. Who moves first loses.
NEVER give way to a rooster! Be aware of where he is, and how he is moving. If he looks like he might go for you immediately stomp your feet, holler, and charge directly at him, flapping your arms and sleeves and aim a kick or several kicks at him and it's more effective if you can connect with the seve's butt several times, and continue to chase him till it turns and runs, and then it is important that you pursue him for at least 5 or 6 seconds. If he stops to turn and look at you, chase him again for daring to do so - no need to kick him this time if he runs, just chase and make him run. And for the next few days, stomp towards him any time you see him within 5-7 feet of you. YOUR space must remain sacred to him.
Eventually, you should not have to bother, he should either move away from you when you near him, or mind his business where he is. The odd boot or stomp in his direction will remind him you will tolerate no B.S.

I would go through this routine no more than 2-3 times.

NOW if you go through all this, and he still attacks, then is the time he would be off to freezer camp.

Last edited:
When my roosters start behaving this way usually with their hormonal stage that's when I pull out the ol spray bottle. Takes a couple of days but they learn to respect you and your sapce stop giving him treats for now and dont let him crow at you or in your presence. Spray him everytime he does or displays any type of aggressive behavior. It works like a charm mine respect me because of this. It works so well that I have them trained that if one of them start to Crow all I have to say is no Crow!!!!! and they immediately stop crowing People trip out when they see this. It works!

When my roosters start behaving this way usually with their hormonal stage that's when I pull out the ol spray bottle. Takes a couple of days but they learn to respect you and your sapce stop giving him treats for now and dont let him crow at you or in your presence. Spray him everytime he does or displays any type of aggressive behavior. It works like a charm mine respect me because of this. It works so well that I have them trained that if one of them start to Crow all I have to say is no Crow!!!!! and they immediately stop crowing People trip out when they see this. It works!
This. 👆🏻 This is how I trained mine. Ice cold water in a spray bottle (or water gun), and get them right in their floppy red parts.

Wow. Sorry. I did not realize how old this thread was. Did you find a way to make peace with your rooster?

Back
Top Bottom