Widowed Pigeon, new companion help

DotTheHen

Songster
May 6, 2019
Hello, some may know that I have aquired a lost racing pigeon. I got her a pigeon buddy, but unfortunately he escaped the aviary through a piece of broken screen on the door. We cannot find him for the time being, and I need to look at the options of new companions for my widowed pigeon.

she is living in an aviary, and she is not being let outside as we have many predators and she is a pet. She is very sweet and doesn’t bother anyone.

My question would be is there any bird species other than pigeons that could work as a permanent companion for her? I have the ability to go buy another pigeon but it’s a bit far away.

Thanks for any help.

I have not set up nesting boxes so maybe the lack of nests will help limit any territorial disputes. Also, do the ring neck doves do well outside? They are protected from rain and snow but the cold and wind could prove a problem.

Im not sure either is supposed to be exposed to too much wind, doves are more dainty and I could see them being more delicate to full blown outside weather, although I'm not sure. Mine never stood their ground in a fight, my loft is outside but its nearly fully enclosed, not an aviary like yours, I think getting another pigeon (or 3 if you can afford it/space/feed/etc) would probably be your best bet? I've heard of doves and pigeons getting along however mine haven't with the exception of my two most docile birds.

Back
Top Bottom