Will a rooster mount a pullet?

WVhobbyfarm

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2015
West Virginia
We have a rooster that is just over 1 year old. He's a large friendly NH red. All our hens were killed by hawks so he is our only adult bird. We have 2 month old Buff Orpington pullets that have been living in the same coop with the roo, but separated by chicken wire. They seem to be friendly with each other so we'd like to integrate them. If we do, will the roo try to mount the young pullets since he has no hens?

We have a rooster that is just over 1 year old. He's a large friendly NH red. All our hens were killed by hawks so he is our only adult bird. We have 2 month old Buff Orpington pullets that have been living in the same coop with the roo, but separated by chicken wire. They seem to be friendly with each other so we'd like to integrate them. If we do, will the roo try to mount the young pullets since he has no hens?

It is likely that the rooster would try to mate with these young pullets; I'd keep them separate for a couple more months. The vast size difference would/could cause injuries that won't happen when the pullets are closer to mature size.

Thanks! I was afraid this would be the answer. We have also have some very young pullets that can't yet be integrated with the older bird so I was hoping I could move the older pullets in with the rooster. I guess I'm going to have to get creative with the chicken wire for a while to integrate all these birds of various ages.

He might......and he might not...... try to mount them.
Depends on the cockbird's temperament.
A mature cock should know those pullets are not sexually mature and leave them be.
A young cockerel just coming into his sexual maturity, and maybe up to a year old, will try to mount just about everything.

I would try it.... but be ready to separate.
He may try to dominate them tho...there can be a fine line between dominance and mating behaviors.

There is only one way to find out... let them out together, and observe. If he's a gentleman rooster, he'll wait till they are close to POL. But... there's really no way to find out without putting it to the test. There's nothing wrong with leaving things as they are, as long as the pullets have enough room. Be assured, than once he does start breeding them, he'll be trying to make up for lost time! My roo has a good sized flock. He tidbits his chicks, and does not attempt to breed them till they are close to POL. Interestingly, he ignores the cockrels, unless they pester the girls. Then he runs them off. Otherwise, he does not consider them a threat to his man-hood, even though they thrash the tar out of each other.

Thanks! I was afraid this would be the answer. We have also have some very young pullets that can't yet be integrated with the older bird so I was hoping I could move the older pullets in with the rooster. I guess I'm going to have to get creative with the chicken wire for a while to integrate all these birds of various ages.

Maybe you could combine the two groups of different age pullets. I often have different age chicks sharing space.

Last edited:
Maybe you could combine the two groups of different age pullets. I often have different age chicks sharing space.

We are trying that but so far the older pullets are bullying the young chicks so we can't leave them together unsupervised. I know we must expect a bit of discord while they work out the pecking order but so far it's too aggressive to leave them alone together. We continue to integrate them whenever we have time to keep a close eye. Hopefully we can get them all playing nice soon.

Back
Top Bottom