Will broody hen after laying on eggs, that did not hatched, for 21 days?

Limpin Nugget

Chirping
Sep 5, 2020
Good day!
Our pet chicken, Nugget, is brooding for 21 days, but none of the eggs hatched. We are pretty much a novice and know nothing on taking care of chicken. But, I've been monitoring what she eats. I make sure that she eats everyday and if she does not drink, I make her. She got out of her coop one every 2 days to do her business and for dust baths. She's starting to go out for longer period of time. Will her unhatched eggs affect her brooding next time? Thanks :D

Do you have a cock bird? as in are they fertile eggs?

You could candle the eggs tonight to see if they are developed. Flashlight cupped in hand to rest egg on. If it's dark (fully developed chick) except for air sac at fat end then they are still viable. Or you could wait it out another two days to see if anything hatches.

If nothing hatches by day 25 toss the eggs and take her off the nest. Some birds get so broody they will attempt to brood far past the time. It takes a lot out of them and if nothing is going to hatch it's best to break them of the brood. Use a cage if you have to.

Do you have a cock bird? as in are they fertile eggs?

You could candle the eggs tonight to see if they are developed. Flashlight cupped in hand to rest egg on. If it's dark (fully developed chick) except for air sac at fat end then they are still viable. Or you could wait it out another two days to see if anything hatches.

If nothing hatches by day 25 toss the eggs and take her off the nest. Some birds get so broody they will attempt to brood far past the time. It takes a lot out of them and if nothing is going to hatch it's best to break them of the brood. Use a cage if you have to.
Thank you very much.
She actually doesn't have a partner but the other hens are laying fertile eggs and doesn't lay on them so she acts like the foster mom haha but will check on the eggs. Thank you for the advice 😊

Yes, we have. But they don't mate with her, Nugget, but they do with the other hens. She's fostering all the fertile eggs that the other hens won't lay on.
Got it.
Have you candled the eggs?
If I were in your shoes, I’d candle the eggs and leave her the ones that are pretty close to the same stage in development. If you have staggered eggs, the staggered hatch will make it so the first 24-36 hours of chicks that emerge are going to make it. There will be a time where she walks away with the living to keep them healthy.
Until then, she will keep setting. For how long is dependent on the hen. My broody sat for 5-6 weeks before I finally locked her in a wire cage in her outside run.

Got it.
Have you candled the eggs?
If I were in your shoes, I’d candle the eggs and leave her the ones that are pretty close to the same stage in development. If you have staggered eggs, the staggered hatch will make it so the first 24-36 hours of chicks that emerge are going to make it. There will be a time where she walks away with the living to keep them healthy.
Until then, she will keep setting. For how long is dependent on the hen. My broody sat for 5-6 weeks before I finally locked her in a wire cage in her outside run.
Thank you very much. Will definitely candle the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom