Will i hatch Olive eggers

pepe1

Songster
10 Years
Jun 24, 2013
I have 2 white easter egger roosters over 15 Rhode Island red hens, if i hatch their eggs will the chicks grow to lay olive eggs, just curios what color eggs the hens will lay.

Guess it depends on your definition of olive.
For me olive eggs should be dark green like an olive. A light olive egg doesn't make much sense. If its a lighter then olive color I'd consider that a green egg.
There's a real trend lately to label every green egg layer as olive eggs.
I don't get it myself. What's wrong with calling green eggs green?
Olive colored eggs take some selective breeding to get that dark olive color. Green egg layers just take a blue egg layer crossed to a brown egg layer.

if your roosters give blue eggs and your hens lays dark brown eggs then yes, but some easter eggers give brown eggs and green eggs so it's hard to know what egg color a rooster is going to give
but I don't know the breed rhode Island red but I think they lay to light eggs to get olive eggers.
but I don't know tho, it could maybe work, but it's hard to know tho if your EE rooster gives blue, green or brown.
but if you really want to cross those breed and see if you get olive egger I say go for it :)

I own 2 olive eggers and I just love them, they are mixed with maran and I think easter egger (I bought them think I was buying cuckoo maran hens, but when they started laying they where giving me olive eggs, they look exactly like purbreed marans so I really thought I was buying cuckoo marans)
but I really love them they are so sweet and lay so beautiful eggs and they are good layers to :)
best of luck to you with whatever you decide to do :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom