Will I need a permit?

I want to get Gambel quail, just to keep as pets I guess. I've been looking it up but found nothing. Does anyone know if you need a permit for Gambel quail in New York?

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 All the New World Species of quail, (any native to this country) require permits to be kept here in the US.

Awww, I don't want to get a permit... whatever how much do they cost

Each state is different with pricing. Gambels are pretty flighty and skittish to keep as pets. You might consider Japanese (Coturnix) as pets. They do not require a license and are very easy to keep. Much more docile and quiet in temperament than Gambels.

Each state is different with pricing. Gambels are pretty flighty and skittish to keep as pets. You might consider Japanese (Coturnix) as pets. They do not require a license and are very easy to keep. Much more docile and quiet in temperament than Gambels.

I believe that you are mistaken about Coturnix quail not needing a permit. Every state is different but it looked to me like NY does require a permit for any type of quail. I know that my home state does require a permit for Coturnix because they cover all their bases by just listing quail and not differentiating between the different varieties.

Quote: You may be right. The reasoning behind needing a license for New World quail is not only is it illegal to keep any of our Native wildlife without a license and that many times these birds are released into the wild. This could potentially pose a thread to our Native species of wild birds so the Fish and Game dept likes to know you are keeping Native birds in this country. Hence, GENERALLY Coturnix, not being a native breed are not on this list that require a license. HOWEVER, each county has different regulations on poultry and in your state, it may be required. :)

I was thinking of getting coturnix but hadn't decided yet. I want to find someone with a broody coturnix so I can breed her from there and try to bring broodiness back... Well into my chicks and birds anyway

Back
Top Bottom