Will my chicken be lonely?

Asaria1

Songster
Jun 26, 2020
San Diego, CA
Hi all.
I have a flock of 5, but tomorrow morning it will be down to 2. I kept the “bonded” chickens together. Originally it wasnt going to be a problem because the two that are staying with me are a very bonded pair, so i figured there wouldnt be any problems with “lonliness”. But now the problem is one went broody and started sitting on her clutch today. I’m afraid when my other three leave tomorrow, the one in the pair that is not broody is going to be lonely for TWENTY ONE DAYS. Is she going to be ok?
thanks!!!

I'd think she'd be lonely, why are 3 birds leaving? I think the recommended flock size is 3 :)
Two of the three are roosters (my zoning does not allow roosters) and their sister would be VERY sad without them (she is extremely bonded with the two boys, and my other pair of girls are always bullying her). So i found the trio the most amazing new momma who is happy to keep them as a family, and has lots of new girlfriends for the two boys.
Once the new eggs hatch, i will keep 1 or 2 of the chicks to increase my flock, but in the meantime i will have one on her clutch and another ranging all by herself. Can she wait twenty one days? Or do i need to have a backup plan?
Thank you

Hi all.
I have a flock of 5, but tomorrow morning it will be down to 2. I kept the “bonded” chickens together. Originally it wasnt going to be a problem because the two that are staying with me are a very bonded pair, so i figured there wouldnt be any problems with “lonliness”. But now the problem is one went broody and started sitting on her clutch today. I’m afraid when my other three leave tomorrow, the one in the pair that is not broody is going to be lonely for TWENTY ONE DAYS. Is she going to be ok?
thanks!!!
I have bonded girls and if one goes broody the other will get in the nest with her. I had one pair that co sat and raised the chicks together.
If anything she might want to spend time next to the broody. Just make her feel special and give her some treats. Talk to her and spoil her a bit.

I have bonded girls and if one goes broody the other will get in the nest with her. I had one pair that co sat and raised the chicks together.
If anything she might want to spend time next to the broody. Just make her feel special and give her some treats. Talk to her and spoil her a bit.
Thank you so much!

I had a similar experience. Had 2 times, the same 2 broodies on one nest. This went great both times. Lovely to see.

Back
Top Bottom