Will my Silver Laced Barnevelder's ever lay?

Cluckatar

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 12, 2009
Vashon, WA
I'm starting to lose patience with my silver laced barnevelder group. We hatched them last spring on April 29th (from shipped eggs). I ended up with a nice group of three roosters, three hens. One rooster was lost to an aerial predator in the summer. We picked the nicest of the two roos to keep and re-homed the other guy. It was a tough choice as the other was very pretty, and the one we kept has some break-through brown in his saddle. But life is too short to keep mean roosters.

At any rate, here we are at nine months, and still not a single egg from these hens. Cream legbars and mosaics that I hatched more than a month later have been regular layers since December. The lengthening days have started about half of the rest of my flock laying at this point. I know I need to be patient, but geesh.

Attachments

• IMG_9119.jpeg
    IMG_9119.jpeg
    889.5 KB · Views: 18
I had an orpington lay her first egg a few weeks ago and she was a mid April hatch, so maybe yours just got the short end of the stick and didn't have a chance to start laying on time like my girl

Back
Top Bottom