Will pullets try to escape?

Sep 10, 2022
We have a handful of pullets and about double that in cockerels.

We are slowly butchering the cockerels following the "he crows, he goes" method. But no one new has crowed in a while though I think the cockerels are starting to be mean to the bottom of the pecking order. Aka. The pullets

Just this week the pullets have been flying up and out or sit up there all day. Only pullets get out. It is a 5 ft almost 6 ft fense. The plastic around it is for winter use to give the run a nice breeze free place.

What are your thoughts
Is it random the pullet hopping up? Is it because of the cockerels? Is it because the plastic and they cant see anymore?

Attachments

• 20221206_082842.jpg
    20221206_082842.jpg
    418.7 KB · Views: 6
It is very likely that the cockerels are harassing the pullets. Can you separate them?
Well, they basically seperate themselves. Hubby will try to butcher them quicker. I am fairly certain with saddle feather I have it figured out. I just would hate to make a mistake and butcher a female.
We bought a straightrun of 17, ended up with maybe 6 pullets

They separate themselves by staying on the roost or flying out - under these circumstances are they getting adequate feed? If you post pictures of any of the questionable birds, folks here can help with gender ID.
The pullets are free ranging today outside of the pen with their own water and feed. They jumped over so I figured why not give them what they need.

We will tuck them in the shelter at night. The cockerel should be sleeping then? My best hope till Saturday where hubby will butcher the majority of them.
Tonight hopefully he will quickly butcher the cockerel who charged me this morning. 🤦‍♀️

I will keep the 2 possible pullets / cockerels for a few more weeks. Or take pictures of them. Right now I am not going in the pen to take photos.

Back
Top Bottom