will quail go broody

Didn’t @007Sean have bobs in a big outdoor pen that hatched out chicks? I think the female died a week before they hatched and one of the males incubated and raised them, but they were late season and eventually succumbed to the elements. I think he had a very large natural pen that held 2 pairs. I feel like I followed the progress of the family for quite some time before the chicks all passed.

I have one hen that I think is "kinda" interested in brooding, but if she started incubating it would be a real hassle. I'd have to move the other birds out, I'd guess.

I once left the eggs in and let this hen try; she sorta sat for about 50% of the time. Since I really didn't want ruined eggs and I don't eat balut, I took the eggs away. She was fussy for a few days and didn't start laying again for a week.

IMHO, they don't brood -- or at least they don't brood well.

Didn’t @007Sean have bobs in a big outdoor pen that hatched out chicks? I think the female died a week before they hatched and one of the males incubated and raised them, but they were late season and eventually succumbed to the elements. I think he had a very large natural pen that held 2 pairs. I feel like I followed the progress of the family for quite some time before the chicks all passed.
Yep, I did....here's the link!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/posts/23382511

Back
Top Bottom