Will Sevin Dust effect my eggs?

MichelleLee

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 14, 2009
I have had a hen sitting on eggs for about two weeks now...she's been very adamant about staying on that nest 24 hours a day. So lately I have been bringing her food and water twice a day so she doesn't have to get off it much (I'm sure she still does at least once during the day when I'm gone).

The other day I was holding her water bowl with my handing resting on the front of her nest box when my hand started to itch. I pulled it away and found tons of little mites crawling all over me.

I picked up sevin dust this morning and dusted all my birds, cleaned the coop, dusted the perches and all the nest boxes but the one that this hen is setting in. I just couldn't dust her or her box without coming here to check for some advice first....

Should I dust her? I didn't find any mites on my other birds, but she is crawling with them. I'm afraid that if I don't dust her, I will lose the chicks to the mites any way...will sevin kill the eggs if I dust her?

No one knows?
sad.png

I use sevin in all my broody nests. It not only kills the mites, but prevents ants also. Not necessary to put food and water close to the hen. She must releive herself and stretch anyway. As long as she can get to it, it`s close enough.........Pop

I have dusted my broody hens in Sevin dust while they were sitting on eggs and the eggs hatched out with no problems ever. I would dust them right away as the mites can quickly cause the hens to become anemic. Good luck.

I use lime in the nests and never had a problem with it. Reason for me using it is bc in my mallard nests, as the eggs would pip, the ants would get to it. I've never had a prob with anything since.

Best to kill the mites before the babies hatch! I use Sevin 5 which has no withdrawl time on egg or meat consumption, so I would feel confident hatching eggs while using it.

Back
Top Bottom