Will she lay again?

Chookiemom

Chirping
Apr 13, 2022
My older RiR (maybe 2 years; unsure i got her as a gift from a friend) stopped laying about 3 weeks after I brought in my new pullet. She has been with us now for about a month. Their pecking order spats have subsided in the past week and they seem to be getting along. The last egg the RiR laid was very light colored compared to her others. She went through molt during fall and is fully red and looks healthy as ever. I am assuming she stopped due to stress. Do you think she will lay again? Any advice to help her along the way?

Thank you.

It sounds as if she is taking a normal break in her laying cycle especially if she laid throughout the winter, and even more likely if you provided supplemental lighting.

It sounds as if she is taking a normal break in her laying cycle especially if she laid throughout the winter, and even more likely if you provided supplemental lighting.
Thanks for the quick response! She did not lay in the winter. I did not manipulate lighting. She started molting late November and restarted mid February. I just saw her mounting one of my other hens today.

So I just did a quick mite check and noticed my other chicken, a pullet has poultry mites near her vent. She also had her tail down and was acting lazier than usual. I immediately gave her and the others in the flock all a dust bath and will do a deep clean of the coop and run tomorrow. If one them has mites I assume they all do I think this may be a reason as to why she may have stopped laying.

So I just did a quick mite check and noticed my other chicken, a pullet has poultry mites near her vent. She also had her tail down and was acting lazier than usual. I immediately gave her and the others in the flock all a dust bath and will do a deep clean of the coop and run tomorrow. If one them has mites I assume they all do I think this may be a reason as to why she may have stopped laying.
With poultry dust

Back
Top Bottom