Will this evening be harmful to my hens? URGENT

Fill the bottom with straw and hay and let people take pics. I think it could be positive attention if the art event is put in the right light. If your birds are socalized, they probably won't take it that hard. I leashed up my rooster and a hen and they went to down town Seattle with me for a whole day. The rooster spent his whole day acting, with breaks of course, and the music video he was in won 1st place in a video competitoin. The next morning, nothing was different in the coop and the girl never missed a beat laying eggs. This is after riding for an hour in a car, wearing leashes, surrounded by strangers, and the rooster being hit with 32 4 foot long fluorecent lighing tubes for about a total of 2 hours just to get a few good shots. And they normally free range with no fences other than ones keeping them out of the garden. They don't know boundaries and did fine for a whole day with the busy life.

If the enclousire could include a dog house for them to retreat into it would be great, but they'd probably be fine even without one. Its up to you really.

Caleb's video:

230_caleb_small_800.jpg

Wow silkie, that was an interesting video, I saw it before on another thread and liked it. Had to think about it for a while, but decided as art, that i liked it very much.

Good luck chickster - sounds like you're thinking about their welfare, they should be fine.

I think as long as you put some sod down and spoil them with treats inside of the cube that it wouldnt be too hard on them. Besides something needs to be done about the stupid bylaws some cities have.
big_smile.png

If it were me I wouldn't do it but it's your choice. I am just a worry wart! They prob will stop laying for a while after all that. Hens seem to enjoy the same things and if there is a change it could be stressful on them.

GO FOR IT! The photos won't hurt them one bit. A full glass enclosure, I would prefer some wire mesh someplace for more fresh air to get in. How many of us take our chickens to shows or fairs? Sometimes that is hours of driving and MANY hours of being looked over and under, walked by and looked over again. Not to mention the kids that want to tease them. Just place something for them to get a good foot hold on, plenty of food and water.

The temps and air flow were my concern. Enclosed vehicles get hot and stuffy. However wire mesh would provide opportunity for objects to come into and out of the enclosure. Increased risk. I wouldn't do the whole thing in mesh for that reason.

One thing to note. While it would mean less sleep for them the more light inside a glass container compared to outside the less the animals or people can see out. Look out your window in the middle of the night with the lights on and the lights out. See a difference? I've also seen how it affects fish. They are bolder in the evening when their tank lights are on and the house lights are off. I just put a light over my button quail for that reason. They are at the flighty stage and since turning the light on while there was commotion outside their aquarium brooder they now only flap around and risk hitting the top around noon when it's bright in the house. The light reflects off the insides blocking view of darker areas outside so more light actually leads to less stress in those situations.

Last edited:
I think you have to let your chickens do their bit to change the world! They might suffer a bit but don't all of us change artists suffer to make our art? Sure we do! And from a karmic point of view you might be offering your chickens the ultimate chance to move towards enlightenment. True!

I'm all for chicken anarchy! Why when my chicks were still in my office I often told my guy "The chickens are revolting!" and he'd say "Yes, I know they are."

Poultry in Motion!

Jan la Banan

Back
Top Bottom