winded up with baby goat for mothers day

Ducklingbabys

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2019
View attachment 1773540 new to the baby goat world my husband is not my mother and cousin got a baby goat that was born a week before Easter they had it around Easter they put it in diapers and lil baby outfits i just got it today i have the room and time for animals i have ducks dogs cats and other animals so they desided i needed a goat to oh will i took it will they where feeding it whole milk with heavey cream and water its nibbling on everything will when it eats it makes a lot of bubbles and snezzes and caughs i cant find anything on it really wouild like some help plz n thank u
(it threw up green stuff about hour after eating)

Heavy cream is far too rich. Here is a formula for baby goats. Take a gallon jug of whole milk from the store. Pour off about a quart. Add to the jug a cup of buttermilk and a can of evaporated milk. Shake it up and fill the jug back up with some of the milk you poured off. Or, you can just feed plain milk from the store. Both of these options are a lot better than any milk replacement you can buy. Although some kids do fine on replacer, a lot of them cannot tolerate the stuff. They either get the scours or bloat and die and this includes the expensive replacers made just for kids. I have never understood why people buy replacers in the first place. I have raised literally hundreds of kids on cow milk. You can get lamb nipples at the feed store. These do not need to be cut.

It needs formula. You can buy formula specifically for goats at a feed store (rural King, tractor supply, ect). While your there pick up a few nipples as well. Most nipples will fit on a plastic soda bottle. Don't forget to cut a small x shape in the end of the nipple. Please don't give it any thing else that is not actual goat formula
You can buy formula at the feed store but why should you? You are far better off to feed store milk. Some kids can tolerate replacers but a lot of them can't.

When I said milk I meant whole milk you find in the dairy case at any grocery store.

Would goat milk be any better?
Not necessarily. I used to feed my kids cow milk and a lot of times my calves got goat milk. Kids do just fine on cow milk and calves thrive on goat milk. I would be very hesitant to feed raw goat milk to kids because of CAE. CAE, caprine arthritis encephalitis, is transmitted in raw milk. It does not affect calves or people. That is why the kids got cow milk and the calves got goat milk. That way I didn't have to pasteurize any milk.

I agree wholeheartedly on not feeding goat babies a formula. Milk from the store works really well.

Also sounds like it has pneumonia, which can happen with bottle babies. Usually a 5 day course of penicillin will clear that up, but check with a vet first.

We did not do the heavy cream just the whole milk he seems a lot better more active still bubbles a lil when he eats but he trya to eat really fast to

Back
Top Bottom