Winter egg laying- Quit or just slow down?

chuckschickens

Chirping
13 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Red Oak, TX
There is so much information on this website that I can't see the forest because of the trees! (This is a good thing!)
This Saturday my hens will be 20 weeks old and they have not yet started laying. One of my questions is:

"Will I get any eggs before spring if I don't use artificial light?"

The next question:

"If I do put out a light should I gradually increase the light hours or just jump it straight to fourteen hours?"

"Do hens just slow down the laying in the winter or do they completely shut down until spring without artificial light?"

Thanks for your info!
Chuck

Most just slow down, but some stop. 20 weeks is early to start this time of year, depending on the breed, and your climate. If it were spring, they might start laying earlier, now... prolly longer.

//edit// also, on the light, you can just put a timer on so the lite comes on in the morning and set it up to the time you want, gradual increase is pretty unnecessary.

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response!
Hopefully I will get a few eggs soon, my wife already has the frying pan hot!

By the way, I went to the link you included and voted for Anne. She is a beautiful young lady. Is there any way you could post a picture of her on this site posing with your favorite chicken?
lol.png

Thanks again!
Chuck

MY HENS ARE NOT layinh anymore, have not for a few weeks or a month, anyone know why, they mseem healthy, coop is in disarray, since we are winterizinfg it also, our new rholde island , when do they start laying eggs for the first time, they are 6 months old now.

Once they start laying they will probably lay through the winter.
Next year though they may slow down or stop for the darkest months especially after the molt.
I don't use extra light with mine.

Quote:
I had this question too...still not sure of the answer. I don't think Chuck is being overly anxious to have the girls start laying (altho I'm sure he would like them to!
tongue.png
) But if they aren't laying now at 20 weeks, will they wait till they are 40+ weeks in the spring before they lay? (My non-layers are 25, 20, and 17 weeks old...I know what your feeling, Chuck!)

You could try adding light to the early am hours and have the timer go off when the sun rises. Also make sure you are feeding them laying ration. As soon as I did this, within weeks I was getting eggs. My timer goes on at 4am and off at 8:30am, the sun rises here at 8:05 for now)

Back
Top Bottom