Winter Gardens/ Greenhouse!

Pics
I have friends save containers for me. No way I could eat 70 containers of cottage cheese or yogurt! :gig I've gotten about 3 years out of them, before they get brittle and start breaking.

On transplant day, I dig the hole, then carefully take off the lid. Set the pot/plant into the hole, and carefully slide the pot up over the plant. The taper of the container makes it easy to clear the dirt and slide the pot off.
Such a good idea. Now I’m going to get asked why I’m hoarding used containers!

After everything is planted, I stack them and gather up the lids. Then on a nice day, particularly after a dry spell, I lay them all out on the grass near a tree I want to water. Put a couple gallons of water in a clean bucket, add a glug or two of bleach.

I get the hose, and spray them all off, wipe out any persistent dirt, give them a slosh around in the bucket (bleach to kill any stuff that I don't want in them), lay them out to dry.

Stack them up, put them away somewhere, and then they're ready for the next year.

After everything is planted, I stack them and gather up the lids. Then on a nice day, particularly after a dry spell, I lay them all out on the grass near a tree I want to water. Put a couple gallons of water in a clean bucket, add a glug or two of bleach.

I get the hose, and spray them all off, wipe out any persistent dirt, give them a slosh around in the bucket (bleach to kill any stuff that I don't want in them), lay them out to dry.

Stack them up, put them away somewhere, and then they're ready for the next year.
Do (or did) you do this when you used regular planting containers? I haven’t ever rinsed or sanitized them after use, but I think it’s a good idea.

My winter garden is 2 kale plants and 1 collard greens lol.

I'll start up seeds again in January, but I'll live with buying vegetables for a few months to give myself a break in the garden. Still finishing up winter prep for the yard - have to trim back the azaleas and ivy, and then cut back roughly 1/8 mi of laurel bushes, ugh.
Hows springtime clean up going Rosemary? 😘

Do (or did) you do this when you used regular planting containers? I haven’t ever rinsed or sanitized them after use, but I think it’s a good idea.
:oops: Yes, it is a good idea. But, I actually haven't done it. I just thought it would be proper to include that as a step. I really should do it...

Back
Top Bottom