Winter Months for Duck??

amanda_rimo

Songster
Jun 21, 2023
Hi everyone! Trying to get a plan for the winter for our ducks ahead of time. If anyone is willing to share what they do for the winter season? We have a coop and a run attached, but plan on getting a chain link fence to put around the coop to help keep predators out. Thank you everyone for the help! We also have a duck that can’t walk, so she is always on the ground, but hopefully by winter we can get her on her feet. We are gonna be building her a wheelchair in the coming week. Thanks again!

Do you have an idea why your duck isn't walking?
Niacin deficiency or injury?

As for the winter months. I use heated buckets for winter so I don't have to carry water out many times a day since we get temps below freezing. In the coop I use deep litter so they can snuggle down into their shavings. I don't put food and water inside for my ducks they make such a mess then the bedding is wet and even frozen.

Even in winter there needs to be good ventilation inside the coop. I keep the windows on the south and east side of my coops open about half way from the top so the moisture they produce has a way of escape.
I do have heaters that attach to the wall of my coops I only use them if the temps get into single digits. Ducks are hardy and as long as they have a dry coop without wind blowing in they will be fine.

Do you have an idea why your duck isn't walking?
Niacin deficiency or injury?

As for the winter months. I use heated buckets for winter so I don't have to carry water out many times a day since we get temps below freezing. In the coop I use deep litter so they can snuggle down into their shavings. I don't put food and water inside for my ducks they make such a mess then the bedding is wet and even frozen.

Even in winter there needs to be good ventilation inside the coop. I keep the windows on the south and east side of my coops open about half way from the top so the moisture they produce has a way of escape.
I do have heaters that attach to the wall of my coops I only use them if the temps get into single digits. Ducks are hardy and as long as they have a dry coop without wind blowing in they will be fine.
i made a post before about Stanley. we took her to the vet and since we got her from tractor supply, they cant track her genetics, so they arent exactly sure. we have her splinted and have been giving her extra niacin every single day hoping she gets better. she is still eating and drinking every single day and wants to get around and move, so we are going to build her a wheelchair to hopefully teach her how to walk again. trying to figure out a plan ahead of time for the winter months, so we can come up with something before we have no time.

For Stanley, she may do better as a house duck over winter since she is struggling. I hope you can make her a wheelchair so she can get around.
Are you giving her Liquid B Complex? when one already has a problem we have seen the liquid b Complex help better than anything else. 1 ml daily over a small amount of treat. It says injectable but we use it orally. IMG_2678 2.jpeg

For Stanley, she may do better as a house duck over winter since she is struggling. I hope you can make her a wheelchair so she can get around.
Are you giving her Liquid B Complex? when one already has a problem we have seen the liquid b Complex help better than anything else. 1 ml daily over a small amount of treat. It says injectable but we use it orally. View attachment 3572550
we do give her this daily. we are on our second bottle already. unfortunately she will not be able to be a house duck... we dont own the house.

Back
Top Bottom