Winter water...

Pics
The weather has been a bit wild this year. Some of my birds got a touch of frostbite also. That must have been some really strong winds you had. I'm lucky as my coop is protected from most wind. Between the house and the hills, most wind is completely blocked except from a bit of the SW.

I had to smile when I saw you write "Western Christmas". Not many will have any idea what you meant. I grew up in Pittsburgh and have always celebrated 2 Christmases.
The windchill was -35 I think and 40 mph gusts. It was NASTY! I say Western Christmas because our family is Orthodox and we celebrate Nativity on January 7th. I didn't know there was also a Pittsburgh thing with two Christmases... I'd honestly never heard of that, but to be fair, I grew up outside of the city, about an hour away; what's it all about?

The windchill was -35 I think and 40 mph gusts. It was NASTY! I say Western Christmas because our family is Orthodox and we celebrate Nativity on January 7th. I didn't know there was also a Pittsburgh thing with two Christmases... I'd honestly never heard of that, but to be fair, I grew up outside of the city, about an hour away; what's it all about?
Many of my friends are Orthodox. My family and their families have always visited on Christmas. They would come to my house on Dec 25. We'd go to their houses on Jan 7. It was great being able to eat all those holiday goodies twice instead of just once. One of my friends loved working Dec 25 and getting double time for working the holiday. Then she'd get off in Jan for her Christmas.

Many of my friends are Orthodox. My family and their families have always visited on Christmas. They would come to my house on Dec 25. We'd go to their houses on Jan 7. It was great being able to eat all those holiday goodies twice instead of just once. One of my friends loved working Dec 25 and getting double time for working the holiday. Then she'd get off in Jan for her Christmas.
Aha! I guess I kind of take for granted that there is a pretty large Orthodox presence in SW PA, more so than in most areas of the country. Unfortunately, many Orthodox jurisdictions are abandoning the old calendar and are now celebrating Nativity on dec 25 (new calendar).

Aha! I guess I kind of take for granted that there is a pretty large Orthodox presence in SW PA, more so than in most areas of the country. Unfortunately, many Orthodox jurisdictions are abandoning the old calendar and are now celebrating Nativity on dec 25 (new calendar).
I was pleased and rather surprised to find an Orthodox church in this town I moved to in Montana. Certainly did not expect it.

My Roo got frostbite this winter as well. It was pretty bad. He appears to be fine now. I'm in Central Illinois and in Dec we had the coldest weather I've ever experienced here.
I use a 5 gal bucket with a fish tank heater in it and nipples on the bottom sides. Seems to work quite well so far. The water is warm but not hot at all so I've been happy with it. It is in their coop for the winter tho and I do wonder about that if it's creating more moisture in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom