Winterized Run and it STINKS!

I put plastic on all sides of my run, and the top is about 80% covered, so it gets enough ventilation but still stays sheltered enough. I don't have a smell problem because I use a cold compost system, as some mentioned above - wood chips, dry leaves, and other yard waste, whatever is available seasonally I add periodically to the run. I bag and collect dry leaves and use them throughout the year. This neutralizes the nitrogen in the poop and it composts over time. The chickens stir it around when they scratch. It doesn't smell, get muddy, form puddles, or freeze solid in the winter. I wouldn't use inorganic material like sand/gravel/rocks in the run because it does nothing to compost the poop, the poop just sits on top of it or gets mixed in and it remains poopy and smelly. And cleaning it out is too much work and ineffective. My current setup is 4 years old and I haven't cleaned the run in that time - I haven't needed to, it looks like a rich and earthy forest floor.

Hello! I’m new to the chicken life and getting ready for winter in cold, windy and snowy central NY. I have a 150 sq foot run for 10 birds. We live in the woods with lots of predators so we built a run/coop like Fort Knox and don’t let the birds free range. Our soil is well drained sand and gravel, so mud has not been a problem in the run, despite plenty of lake-effect rain.

I recently covered the top of the run with clear-ish tarp and the most of the sides with 6mm plastic to give the girls a snow-free space for winter. I left the screen door uncovered, as well as the 3 short sides under the raised coop so they could have ventilation and a view.

Now my previously clean smelling run STINKS. I think the copious amounts of rain we get plus my well drained soil were keeping it nice and fresh when it was uncovered.

I rake it out every couple of days, and sprinkle some lime but it doesn’t really help. How do you all keep your plastic-wrapped, winterized runs from smelling?
If the run is dry I have zero issues. If rain causes too much wetness, i add straw and eventually everything dries. But in general anything wet too long will start to stink. (As u know). I didnt see if you said your run was covered? If wetness in run is an issue.....figure out whats causing it and fix it 🤷‍♀️. I need to dig a french drain out this spring. 😳 Good luck! 🐓❤️

I put plastic on all sides of my run, and the top is about 80% covered, so it gets enough ventilation but still stays sheltered enough. I don't have a smell problem because I use a cold compost system, as some mentioned above - wood chips, dry leaves, and other yard waste, whatever is available seasonally I add periodically to the run. I bag and collect dry leaves and use them throughout the year. This neutralizes the nitrogen in the poop and it composts over time. The chickens stir it around when they scratch. It doesn't smell, get muddy, form puddles, or freeze solid in the winter. I wouldn't use inorganic material like sand/gravel/rocks in the run because it does nothing to compost the poop, the poop just sits on top of it or gets mixed in and it remains poopy and smelly. And cleaning it out is too much work and ineffective. My current setup is 4 years old and I haven't cleaned the run in that time - I haven't needed to, it looks like a rich and earthy forest floor.
Love to read this! Same! A healthy ecosystem in the run is probably my #1 priority for good flock management right next to feed/fresh water. ☮️🐓❤️

Our soil is well drained sand and gravel
If you have a lot of gravel, poop can get down in there and really start to stink. It doesn't "work" with the poop to make compost/soil, it traps poop so that it can't break down or dry.

I have roof over my run. I have the west (prevailing wind) side covered up to the roof overhang. The south side is the coop, with a little area that's open. The north (second most prevailing wind) side is covered 4 feet high. The east side is open, but is in the lee of the garage, and also the least common direction for wind. I might put something against the bottom 2 feet on that side, because it does get wind, just not as much as the other directions.

Wind down at ground (chicken) level is what I want to avoid. Wind up 4 feet high helps with ventilation.

PDZ will do it for a while, It works but air flow is needed. I use plastic only on the north side to block our winter gail winds. AKA-no drafty, blowing wind or rain from winter weather fronts pushing through but good air flow dries the ground in my coved run/coop. I can add pine shaving if the ground is damp. works as bedding and dries the dirt floor.

Hello! I’m new to the chicken life and getting ready for winter in cold, windy and snowy central NY. I have a 150 sq foot run for 10 birds. We live in the woods with lots of predators so we built a run/coop like Fort Knox and don’t let the birds free range. Our soil is well drained sand and gravel, so mud has not been a problem in the run, despite plenty of lake-effect rain.

I recently covered the top of the run with clear-ish tarp and the most of the sides with 6mm plastic to give the girls a snow-free space for winter. I left the screen door uncovered, as well as the 3 short sides under the raised coop so they could have ventilation and a view.

Now my previously clean smelling run STINKS. I think the copious amounts of rain we get plus my well drained soil were keeping it nice and fresh when it was uncovered.

I rake it out every couple of days, and sprinkle some lime but it doesn’t really help. How do you all keep your plastic-wrapped, winterized runs from smelling?
We have wood chips out in our run and the chickens are always scratching in it and burying their poop. I am not sure if it’s what makes the difference or not But we have not had stinky runs even in 105* temps this p[ast summer. Our run has a roof and one of the sides is covered now with tarps that gave shade from the western sun In the summer. We will leave it in place and use plastic on the east side, the north side is the coop. We are thinking of keeping the south side open. We have a recirculating and heated water system. I guess I can come back in a couple of weeks to let you know if it becomes stinky with the wood chips and plastic on the east side.

Last edited:

Hi! Have you heard of the Deep Litter Method before? It may help with the stink. I personally wouldn't cover the run area and only winterize the coop. This will help with humidity and air flow as well.

Back
Top Bottom