Winterizing Chicken\Duck Coop

How cold?

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1698793715202.png

I cover the openings in the coop with an air filter material. It's a spun polyester "fabric." Air exchange in/out, but it cuts the wind down to about nil.

I also have wind block panels I put up on the prevailing wind (west and north) sides of my run. The run is in the lee of our garage, so there's little wind from the east, and the coop covers most of the south side. There's a roof over my run to keep out the rain/snow, but some will blow in if the wind is just right.

I ran a heavy duty exterior grade extension cord to the run to power a heated dog water bowl to ensure they have liquid water.

Here in the frozen Tundra (Minnesota). I enclose my run in heavy duty plastic, tarp covers the top year-round. Heated water base with metal waterer. And I have winter hardy breed birds. Never have I ever used heat in the coop, and we are talking about sub-zero temperatures. And windchills can be sub-sub-zero for days. Have i gotten a few frozen eggs, sure. But that is very seldom. I know some here will insulate the coop. BTW, got our first snowfall today (3 inches) ITS OFFICALLY WINTER. The new girls are freaky out about the white stuff on the ground, once they taste it. They were loving it, pecking my boots for more.

Back
Top Bottom