Winterproofing the Coop. The ups and downs of shopping the web...

Berkshirebird

In the Brooder
May 9, 2022
Hi all,

I've been researching, designing, scheming, and sadly... ordering for weeks now, and let me tell you its turned into a process.

A little background. I have six hens of assorted breed and about twenty coturnix quail ( all the females (10) and two males in the colony, and four in the bachelor or "B block" haha coop) making for a total of three enclosures I need to provide at least unfrozen water to all the birds and heat for the quail as they tend to spend all their time outside being quail no matter the time of day.

So I've been working ideas since late summer and plunged into some amazon purchases last week, and like I expected it was a complete crapshoot. So I figured id share my thoughts so far on the products I've ordered, and keep it running as I develop my final working ideas for the winter in an attempt to help at least someone else in resolving the bramble of junk online.

without further adieu;

Chicken waterers and waterer heaters SO FAR:

THIS ONE IS JUNK:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GZ5MWBZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

i bought it based on the reviews and what looked like a lot of units sold. Don't know why anyone who bought this and actually raised birds would keep it; its flimsy plastic and the yellow tabs to hold the waterer will snap in a second.

Also the cord is of cheap gas station phone charger quality and the transformer brick is at best interior grade.

Didn't even bother testing it, defiantly didn't even stand a chance.

THIS ONE IS SOLID (FOR THE BOYS ABD MAYBE ALL THE QUAIL) BUTTT YOU CAN MAKE ONE

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MQZ89YH?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Good quality, small sized nipple waterer with built in heating element; I like the overall construction and its cord is legit for the application. But its still expensive and you can make a comparable unit yourself. But for me where i have multiple males in single units this might be the trick

COOP HEATERS TOMMOROW, DONE TYPING lol.

COOP HEATERS TOMMOROW, DONE TYPING lol.
Here's some good news! NO coop heaters required!!
Unless you live sub- zone 4, coop heaters are nothing but a fire hazard. Just ensure your coop is very well ventilated, dry and there are no drafts across roosted birds strong enough to open feathers and the birds will do the rest themselves to keep warm.

Unless you live sub- zone 4, coop heaters are nothing but a fire hazard. Just ensure your coop is very well ventilated, dry and there are no drafts across roosted birds strong enough to open feathers and the birds will do the rest themselves to keep warm.
These links are for water heaters.

This one got me through one winter without any trouble:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BV1WLE/

I got it for $42 ... of course, now it's selling for $54.

Really just worried about heating the quail who are on the ground, i got these and am really pleased with their quality and low power.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JHK375E?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

My Hens should be fine once i finish draft proofing the hen house

Cool thanks for the feedback on that one, its one of my open tabs. And of course.... inflation is just a perspective though... lol

If you're feeling handy, you could try something like this from the Wichita Cabin Coop:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/wichita-cabin-coop.47747/

hredirect2.jpg

Obviously, I just went with something out of the box.

See... I normally DIY EVERYTHING. lol. but withy the heating I'm so hesitant with electricity. I saw this setup and i just worry about it as a fire hazard.... wiring wise that is. am I wrong?
I did not try to do anything water heater DIY - fire hazard being a big part of it. At the same time, if you look at the reviews on anything like this on Amazon, you'll likely find something somewhere that fails and is equally a fire hazard. Everything is made with cheap components ... I don't know any way around that. I guess the only 100% fire-safe approach is to carry out warm water throughout the day.

Well, there's a post around here about somebody digging a deep hole and putting a water bucket on top of active compost for a heat source .... but that has issues, too.

I did not try to do anything water heater DIY - fire hazard being a big part of it. At the same time, if you look at the reviews on anything like this on Amazon, you'll likely find something somewhere that fails and is equally a fire hazard. Everything is made with cheap components ... I don't know any way around that. I guess the only 100% fire-safe approach is to carry out warm water throughout the day.

Well, there's a post around here about somebody digging a deep hole and putting a water bucket on top of active compost for a heat source .... but that has issues, too.
I do this set up but I use a cinder block. No fire hazard that way because it's too heavy for chicken's to knock over. The bulb is down inside one side of the cinder block, ceramic dish on top with water bowl on the dish, works great. I also don't have a bunch of shavings up against it though, It's on my plywood floor in a corner, for those rare occasions that water is freezing too hard.

Back
Top Bottom