Wobbly chick can’t walk

skernkle

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2024
I recently tried incubating eggs for the first time in years. I got the eggs from a local family friend(I’ve been told by others that eggs from her flock have a pretty low success rate, but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with this). It was nearing the twenty fifth day with no pips or any sign of hatching, but the day before yesterday one of the eggs pipped, and it hatched last night. The chick was having some trouble walking, but I played it off as the chick just being tired. When I checked on it today, it hadn’t managed to stand and I noticed that it wobbles as well. It is constantly trying to move and climb over the eggs in the incubator, but it can only really flop around. I’ve considered splay leg, but I’m unsure if that has anything to do with the wobbling. Despite the issues, it seems very energetic and loud, and is trying to move and walk around. Any ideas?

I recently tried incubating eggs for the first time in years. I got the eggs from a local family friend(I’ve been told by others that eggs from her flock have a pretty low success rate, but I’m not sure if that has anything to do with this). It was nearing the twenty fifth day with no pips or any sign of hatching, but the day before yesterday one of the eggs pipped, and it hatched last night. The chick was having some trouble walking, but I played it off as the chick just being tired. When I checked on it today, it hadn’t managed to stand and I noticed that it wobbles as well. It is constantly trying to move and climb over the eggs in the incubator, but it can only really flop around. I’ve considered splay leg, but I’m unsure if that has anything to do with the wobbling. Despite the issues, it seems very energetic and loud, and is trying to move and walk around. Any ideas?
From the video it looks like splayed leg and possibly a curled foot. Are are you able to give the chick some nutri drench? Here's an article on how to help correct splay legs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/splay-leg-and-spraddle-leg-treatment.78240/

From the video it looks like splayed leg and possibly a curled foot. Are are you able to give the chick some nutri drench? Here's an article on how to help correct splay legs:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/splay-leg-and-spraddle-leg-treatment.78240/
Thank you! I’m going to get some nutri drench as soon as possible, and I’ve used some medical tape to correct it’s legs. It can’t seem to support it’s upper body weight even with the brace, however. It doesn’t seem to have a curled foot, but I’m not going to completely disregard that idea. I do have electrolyte vitamin supplements on hand that I’m going to use for now, and see if that helps at all.

So how's the chick doing now, more than a month later?

I'm having same issue - hatched late and wobbling around with curled feet and floppy legs. Hobbling and electrolytes aren't working and the chick is now on day 4. I'm surprised it made it through the night. Was wondering if it was actually Marek's. Not much advice can be found aside from the leg taping and shot glass therapy. It's a "wait and see" game I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom