Wondering why my chickens won’t use their perches at night?

How long have you had these birds and that ladder roost?
How many birds total?
Roost looks fine tho I don't care for ladder roosts.
I'd try going in well after dark and putting them on the roosts.
Wear a dim headlight and keep it pointed up so as not to light a 'path of escape'.
I’ve had them since May as day olds and they moved into the coop in july. Ladder perch has been there the whole time. 7 birds. They don’t love being handled but maybe I’ll try that. Thanks!

They use them during the day though with no problem at all.
that's good to know.

I’ve had them since May as day olds and they moved into the coop in july. Ladder perch has been there the whole time. 7 birds. They don’t love being handled but maybe I’ll try that. Thanks!
Gotta be calm, confident, and semi-quick.....talk softly "It's OK".
Wrap both hands around bird to hold wings down.
Place feet firmly on roost and give a few seconds for them to get stable.
Let go of wings give a little pat on the back and grab the next one.
Might have to do this for several nights before they get with the program.
Best of cLuck!

that's good to know.

Best of cLuck!
Thanks for the tips!

You could always experiment with them a little... Rig up a single bar stand (like a wooden saw horse) and move it around in there. Start with it in that corner they seem to favor and see if they take to it.... Everybody has that "sweet spot" that they love so it could simply be the location they're not so keen on.

I did this with my pullets while they were in their starter coop and soon found that their favorite spot was wherever the tree branch was. It was just broken off from a nearby tree and balanced between a couple fiberglass rods so I could move it around freely. They had 2x4's and 1x3's to choose from too, and during the day they loved them, but bedtime called for the branch or the floor if the real estate was taken up. Many a protest came from their settling in because somebody would be knocked off by a bigger bodied girl. XD

that's good to know.

Best of cLuck!
So I just tried this and they immediately hopped off and went back into the corner. i guess it's not really causing any harm but I feel bad because I know at least one of them likes to perch but only does it in places that she can't always like the window but I have to close it when it's too cold and now a couple times she's been on top of the chicken door in the run but we don't let them stay in the run over night because of the cold and in case of predators. It's secure but not as secure as the coop.

So I just tried this and they immediately hopped off and went back into the corner. i guess it's not really causing any harm but I feel bad because I know at least one of them likes to perch but only does it in places that she can't always like the window but I have to close it when it's too cold and now a couple times she's been on top of the chicken door in the run but we don't let them stay in the run over night because of the cold and in case of predators. It's secure but not as secure as the coop.

Was it fully dark when you tried?
Did you use BARELY enough light for YOU to see by?

My chickens all like to sleep on the same level as each other. They're all the same age and if one lays down during the day, the others all huddle around her until there's a puddle of 10. I have 2 saw horses that my brother rearranged and separated and they all tried to fit on one without success so I've re-rearrange them so all 10 can roost side by side.

Back
Top Bottom