Wood chips for duck run?

Esme2345

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
My run is ridiculously muddy so I’m thinking of making a new one using wood chips for the ground. Would this make the run cleaner? Does anyone have any experience with wood chips? Thanks

Our ducks are in a run 4-5 months a year until free range weather. I find that wood chips help but straw works best for us during the spring mud season.

My run is ridiculously muddy so I’m thinking of making a new one using wood chips for the ground. Would this make the run cleaner? Does anyone have any experience with wood chips? Thanks
You're gonna want to use straw probably it tends to be better for preventing mud. Depending on the specific woodchips they may or may not be okay for the ducks feet.

You're gonna want to use straw probably it tends to be better for preventing mud. Depending on the specific woodchips they may or may not be okay for the ducks feet.

would the straw note get really wet when it rained? Thank you

Improving drainage would be the best option if at all possible. If the run stays wet, it doesn’t matter what sort of substrate you put down, it’s going to be a wet stinky mess.
for summer, my birds are out in a larger area and therefore make much less of a mess in their run. During the winter, everything is frozen solid so no mud concerns there either.
spring and fall however, are a very different story. I dig trenches. I put down straw in the particularly bad areas and remove and replace it regularly. I try to keep them confined to a specific “sacrifice” area too, when the ground is most soft and vulnerable, so they do as little damage as possible.
Your general location, climate and either a description or some photos of your set up will make a difference on what you use. :)

We use cypress mulch on top of landscape fabric to keep it from sinking into the ground.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/2-cu-ft...lFGE8aksC_qOwpTLRchoCi30QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Works well and doesn't get soggy when it rains. Our run is on a slope though so we never have an issue with standing water and their pool drains outside of their run.
We just add clean mulch on top when it gets too dirty or spot clean with the hose and the poo drains away. Full clean out once or twice
20201210_144708.jpg
a year.
We use the old mulch to line the paths in our veg garden so nothing goes to waste.
We needed to add more when I took this pic but it looks nice when new bags are added and we have not had any issues with bumblefoot in the 3 years we've had them.

Back
Top Bottom