Working with a flock.

Vanessa Pousson

In the Brooder
Nov 15, 2023
Church point
Looking for any kind of addvice.

I have 21 chickens =4 roosters 17 hens
4 sex links all hens 9 months
5 easter eggers 2 roosters 3 hens all 9 months(1 rooster is aggresive Macho)
4 delaware all hens all 9 months
1 buck eye hen 9 months
5 lenhorns 1 rooster 4 hens ( rooster starting to show aggresion) 1 hen 1 1/2 year 3 hens 1 rooster 9 months
1 white road iland rooster 3 years (Hayhay )
1 Australorp hen 3 years.(Sheba)
The last 2 belong to a friend of mine. And there in a smaller coop.
And my aggresive rooster is in solitary confindment.
My other chickens are in a larger pin and I have it set up where
Its half coop and half run. 16 hen and 2 roosters.

A year ago befor I moved I had 15 hen leghorns /road iland reds/ and bramas ( different batch) all the same age and wall I was in the process of moving a stray dog got into the coop and all but 1 hen didn’t make it. And she is with this Flock. She is my little mama best one and can you belive it the dog the we have is the same color as the one that took her friends. And she plays and sleeps with him.

The others don’t care for him. But they let him be cause he keeps the other animals away. When one of my roosters started to go after me and my dog i tried to work with him, but when my niece came over ... long story short i chased him around the yard for about and hour with a stick and hes been in solitary confinement scence. which left 2 roosters with 15 hens. 1 Leghorn (Elvis) 1 Easter Egger (Little Man). Elvis allways looked good and dances when ever he gets the chance and scence Macho has been removed has started show signs of aggresion. Little Man was allways the smallest and at one point i was worried about him being picked on. After i took the aggresive one away Little man looked a little happer and really came and sat on my lap thats when found bald spots on him, i couldnt look befor becouse Macho would chase him off. He has little to no saddle feathers and with scabing and signs of them being pulled out roughy and his Hackles ive been preening his neck for about 2 weeks myself and its looking better ,but his saddle feather area isnt improving.

1 buck eye hen 9 months
5 lenhorns 1 rooster 4 hens ( rooster starting to show aggresion) 1 hen 1 1/2 year 3 hens 1 rooster 9 months

A year ago befor I moved I had 15 hen leghorns /road iland reds/ and bramas ( different batch) all the same age and wall I was in the process of moving a stray dog got into the coop and all but 1 hen didn’t make it. And she is with this Flock. She is my little mama best one and can you belive it the dog the we have is the same color as the one that took her friends. And she plays and sleeps with him.

The others don’t care for him. But they let him be cause he keeps the other animals away. When one of my roosters started to go after me and my dog i tried to work with him, but when my niece came over ... long story short i chased him around the yard for about and hour with a stick and hes been in solitary confinement scence. which left 2 roosters with 15 hens. 1 Leghorn (Elvis) 1 Easter Egger (Little Man). Elvis allways looked good and dances when ever he gets the chance and scence Macho has been removed has started show signs of aggresion. Little Man was allways the smallest and at one point i was worried about him being picked on. After i took the aggresive one away Little man looked a little happer and really came and sat on my lap thats when found bald spots on him, i couldnt look befor becouse Macho would chase him off. He has little to no saddle feathers and with scabing and signs of them being pulled out roughy and his Hackles ive been preening his neck for about 2 weeks myself and its looking better ,but his saddle feather area isnt improving.
I think Macho & Elvis both need to be culled. By removing Macho, Elvis started showing signs of aggression. Perhaps Little Man may turn out to be a good roo. I had to cull one Roo last year. He was good with the hens, but mot with me or the alpha. He was intent on dominating. I tried working with him but in the end, his constant fighting with the other roo was causing stress on the flock. I now have 2 13 week old cockerels, one that already shows dominating behaviour with me and with the other cockerel. I'll be culling him this weekend and hopefully the other will make a good Beta rooster.
The fighting and aggression is harmful to the flock, and we are headed into winter - meaning less free range & more time cooped up together. A stressed flock has much greater chance of sickness, so best to address these roos soon.

thank you very much for the addvice. Scence i posted this me and elvis got into a little dissagrement and i spent a plesent afternoon following him around the coop doing the same dance that he was doing when ever he got the chance. He keeps his distence from me now and little man is doing much better he even has feathers growing back. I do plan on separating Elvis and eather making him gumbo or putting a few hens with him. only time will tell.
Macho was doing good was even letting me pet him so I thout it would be ok to add 3 hens to keep him company the next day i had to take them out, ones he getts big enough i have a big gumbo pot with his name on it.

1 buck eye hen 9 months

I would like to thank everyone for there addvice. Macho and Hayhay will finaly be rehomed tomorw. As for Elvis and Little Man, they are turning out to be a good pare. Elvis does most of the work he stays high up and is aways on the watch and crows alot when he sees somthing to close till i go check on it or let him go look himself. He makes shour he girls are happy and clean. And the other day he went crazy when one of the hens feel into some thick slug and couldnt get out, took me 3 hours to get her cleaned and dryed once i put her back in he went and checked on her and when he was happy he went back to his post. Little man stays on the ground sometime he goes high but for the most part he stays low and keeps the hens from prestering each other. Both of them dont care for being near me a will most times keep there distance when i have them out in the yard.
Just last week i had them out defore the freez came and one of my aggresive roosters got loss without me knowing and was about to come for me from behind and Elvis and my dog came to my adde. They stund him long enough for me to put him back. And Elvis came next to me and checked me over clucking the hole time. The only thing i could say was aww you do care after a bet he went back to his post and i brough him some umy mill worms.
Sorry for all the miss spelling i was trying to get this down befor work.

Always solve for peace in the flock. Your chickens peace, and your own. It makes the hobby much more enjoyable. Keeping the least amount of roosters is generally best. The more roosters you have, the greater the chance of it not working. And there is already a high chance it won't work anyway.

Back
Top Bottom