Worms or maggots?

danlan

Songster
Jan 7, 2021
I was cleaning my mini coop and found these gross worms. This is the area where the chickens sleep and there was a lot of poop there.

20230909_120349.jpg

20230909_120358.jpg

They were white, fat, and about half an inch long. Wriggled around a lot.

They weren't anywhere else in the coop.

I have 4 chickens in this coop. They are 9 week old pullets. I got them a week and a half ago from a farm (who in turn got them from a hatchery). I've been quarantine them in this coop before they join the main flock.

Chickens all seem fine.

Are these worms? Or maggots?

That's correct. They are laid by some kind of flying insect, in the droppings after the droppings are deposited. I would recommend cleaning up the droppings more often to prevent them. I have poop boards under the roosts that get scraped daily, because, yes, they poop a lot overnight while roosting. Some people use sand or PDZ, those will help dry out the droppings, making them less attractive to the insects. I prefer the poop boards as it doesn't cost me more in another material to keep on hand.

That's correct. They are laid by some kind of flying insect, in the droppings after the droppings are deposited. I would recommend cleaning up the droppings more often to prevent them. I have poop boards under the roosts that get scraped daily, because, yes, they poop a lot overnight while roosting. Some people use sand or PDZ, those will help dry out the droppings, making them less attractive to the insects. I prefer the poop boards as it doesn't cost me more in another material to keep on hand.
Thanks! Appreciate the explanation!

Back
Top Bottom