Worms?

shakin_the_trees

Chirping
Apr 7, 2022
So I am gonna start with why I am questioning worms. I have been treating several of my chickens for bumble foot (making progress :) ) But I recently also had one of my birds with sour crop (also making progress). A few of my birds appear to have had some weightloss but are still acting normal. I have read that some times those types things can arise from parasite infestations. I havent noticed any external parasites..ie eggs, worms in poop, bugs anywhere... Ive tried reaching out to many vets around my area that say they work with chickens but I havent had any luck. I was trying to get a fecal float test to confirm.
Do you think I could have worms? Any advice on what to use as a dewormer ? prefer not to use ivermectin if possible, but open to trying the topical. Also, could I have another problem going on? Im so frusterate! If its not one thing its another...

:pop I can't offer any solid advice on this topic, yet. I'm dealing with capillary worms in my flock right now, and getting wildly different advice. Hoping you find the best answer.

Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very safe and effective. Valbazen dosage is 0.08 ml per pound (or 1/2 ml for a 4-6 pound chicken) given once orally, and then repeated in 10 days. SafeGuard dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight given for 5 consecutive days. Those will prevent most worms in chickens (round, cecal, gape, and capillary worms) except for the more rare tapeworms.

:pop I can't offer any solid advice on this topic, yet. I'm dealing with capillary worms in my flock right now, and getting wildly different advice. Hoping you find the best answer.
I know there is so many different advice out there. I just want to find a one stop shop, that doenst cause withdrawal and also will treat all the most common worms!! I will let you know if I end up trying something.

I know there is so many different advice out there. I just want to find a one stop shop, that doenst cause withdrawal and also will treat all the most common worms!! I will let you know if I end up trying something.
Different worms can need different drugs (i.e tape vs round) most require egg withdrawal.
Anything that says differently is snake oil.

All types of poultry roundworms will be eliminated by the proper dosage with either Valbazen or Safeguard. I prefer Valbazen but have used Safeguard over the years as well.
We eat the eggs after using Valbazen or Safeguard and I'm still here typing. Worm the whole flock.

Both products are benzimidazoles which are mostly excreted when a chicken is dosed with either product. Only a small amount is absorbed into the bloodstream. There will be minute residue in the eggs.

If you suspect that you or a family member might have a reaction to the minute residue in the eggs, by all means toss the eggs in the garbage 2 weeks after the last dosing.
Do not sell nor give away eggs after worming with either product.

If a bird has tapeworms, you'll see rice-like segments in feces. You'll need to purchase Equimax or Zimecterin Gold equine paste to eliminate the tapeworms.
You will only need to treat the birds that had the rice like segments in the feces, not the whole flock.

Using Flubendazole will kill tapeworms too and can be mixed into their feed, so no individual dosing or handling of the birds necessary.

Screenshot_20220928-124536.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom