Wound care advice please

Djgm

Songster
May 9, 2020
Northern NJ
My Lavender Orpington Megara is 2.5 years old & has consistently had issues with her bum feathers being ingrown. This particular spot wound up being just about a full feather by the time I was able to coax it out back in September/October. The wound you’re looking at in the picture, is where the feather had been all curled under her skin, it was like it created a crater while it grew under her skin. At first, it had been like an air pocket under her skin, then it turned into a scab as the dead skin fell off & it’s been scabbed up (was always a healthy looking scab) just about this entire time. About two days ago, either one of her sisters pecked at it or she did, causing a little crack in the scab & a bit of bleeding, so I put Neosporin on it (without pain relief)- tonight at bedtime, I saw tons of blood, and of course it was my poor Megara. The entire scab was ripped off & she must have bled quite a bit. Brought her in, and when I cleaned her up, it looks like there’s an infection. It was yellowish in spots which had been deep underneath. I cleaned her up with chlorhexidine solution, gobbed Neosporin on her, and now she’s inside in my little chicken ICU. Is there anything or something else I should/can do for her?***Note the gooey look in the pics is from the Neosporin, the wound itself wasn’t gooey, only where I noticed it was yellowish.

Attachments

• IMG_9915.jpg
    IMG_9915.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    407.1 KB · Views: 7
Hi there. I’m not sure if there’s much else you can do for her if you’ve already put an antibacterial on it. The best advice I can give would be to keep her secluded for a couple days and see if it gets any better before letting her go back to the flock. I hope she gets better, that looks painful! :confused:

You could also try putting some lavender oil and honey on it. The lavender will act as a pain suppressant and the honey is a natural antibacterial.

Back
Top Bottom