wrap it or pull it?

Megber13

In the Brooder
May 8, 2022
Pics...this girl has had more broken foot feathers than the other three, I dont know why but Ive always been able to use cornstarch, wrap it, and everythings fine in a couple days.
Today I was gone most of the afternoon and when I got back with them, I found she had more of a hematoma than Id seen before. There was blood tracked around but nothing that remarkable.
Question...I cleaned and wrapped the foot in hopes it chills out and clots more permanently but these girls are my first 4 and theyll be 3 in April with no major setbacks. I dont have a ton of experience...does this feather need pulled and can I do it safely myself?

Attachments

• 20240128_212156.jpg
    20240128_212156.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240128_212152.jpg
    20240128_212152.jpg
    386.9 KB · Views: 13
Best not to pull it out, although it's not a big risk thing to do if you feel you really need to. It will likely hurt her though since it's such a large shaft feather. I would say the safest course of action is to put flour or cornstarch on it as you've been doing and try to leave it as open to the air as possible to clot it quickly or wrap it if it she doesn't leave it alone.

Best not to pull it out, although it's not a big risk thing to do if you feel you really need to. It will likely hurt her though since it's such a large shaft feather. I would say the safest course of action is to put flour or cornstarch on it as you've been doing and try to leave it as open to the air as possible to clot it quickly or wrap it if it she doesn't leave it alone.
That blood glob makes me nervous, that's why I wrapped it. As soon as the other girls see it, they will start pecking at it and the whole bleeding process will start over.
I used gauze and then a self sticking wrap so it stays on (I have used this before for other broken feathers and it has worked well). Still some air flow but not enough to see blood to give it some time with clotting.
If I do not pull this feather, what happens to this open shaft? I have 50/50 feedback on whether this will cause a fatal bleed out or if it will clot and heal like the other ones have.
She seems to be sort of depressed today...she was roosted again when I went down to check her but is walking fine and eating/drinking when I took her out of the coop. It is chilly but no worse than usual and she isnt usually a loner.

If you can stabilize the bleeding, make it clot and keep an eye on it…cool.
If the bleeding continues and you can’t stop it or situation is out of control. Pull it.
Sure pulling causes pain, but not death due to blood lose.
Also, if you pull, make sure that doesn’t bleed. If it does, put a bit of corn starch.

I have read that when a blood feather continues to bleed, it can be pulled out with a pair of pliers.
Edited to say, if the feather is not still actively bleeding you can leave it alone and watch it. But one that continues to bleed should be pulled straight out. It will be painful. A vet may be helpful. Blood will attract pecking.

Last edited:
That blood glob makes me nervous, that's why I wrapped it. As soon as the other girls see it, they will start pecking at it and the whole bleeding process will start over.
I used gauze and then a self sticking wrap so it stays on (I have used this before for other broken feathers and it has worked well). Still some air flow but not enough to see blood to give it some time with clotting.
If I do not pull this feather, what happens to this open shaft? I have 50/50 feedback on whether this will cause a fatal bleed out or if it will clot and heal like the other ones have.
She seems to be sort of depressed today...she was roosted again when I went down to check her but is walking fine and eating/drinking when I took her out of the coop. It is chilly but no worse than usual and she isnt usually a loner.
If she's acting down, then it's probably a good idea to pull it and let her heal up. Might be a good idea to keep her in a quarantine cage in the coop while it heals so she can see the others without being pecked. Lots of treats and pampering for a day or two might help her perk up a bit if she feels lonely. (some of my older retired girls even refused to leave the quarantine cage because they enjoyed the special treatment and making the flock jealous😂)

Back
Top Bottom