Wry Neck Chick Back in Coup

HookLineSilkie

Songster
Oct 28, 2019
San Martin, CA
Hi all, I have a week old chick that developed wry neck. She’s in the coup with nine siblings and two co-mamas. I pulled her out yesterday morning and have been treating her with selenium and vitamin e. She’s doing better already but she’s all by herself in my room with a heat plate. Anyway, I read that mamas sometimes reject their young if it has been too long and sometimes will kill them instantly if reintroduced. So today, I put the chick back in the coup in its own cage and put the heat plate in there. Will this work?

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpeg
    IMG_0266.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 47
Have you also been giving vitamin B complex?
You can do a supervised test introduction to see if momma will take it back.
I’ve been adding that little save a chick packet to the water so it’s getting some of that as well.
I’m just so nervous about the chick getting killed suddenly! There are two mamas as well that share the chicks but not sure if one will accept and the other won’t. I just don’t want it to freeze tonight either. We are having hot summer days and it’s supposed to dip to 54 tonight so hope it will go under the heat plate.

I’ve been adding that little save a chick packet to the water so it’s getting some of that as well.
I’m just so nervous about the chick getting killed suddenly! There are two mamas as well that share the chicks but not sure if one will accept and the other won’t. I just don’t want it to freeze tonight either. We are having hot summer days and it’s supposed to dip to 54 tonight so hope it will go under the heat plate.
Okay so, I went and released baby from cage and mamas both accepted it back. Now, it’s evening and they are all in the hen box but I can hear baby with wry neck peeping constantly and see it having flipping episodes but will then snuggle back under moms. It’s quiet for the moment but I set my timer for 30 minutes to go check on it. I’m just hoping I don’t wake up to it dead. I read that you can’t exactly die from wry neck but more so if the bird doesn’t eat and drink. Stressful.

Okay so, I went and released baby from cage and mamas both accepted it back. Now, it’s evening and they are all in the hen box but I can hear baby with wry neck peeping constantly and see it having flipping episodes but will then snuggle back under moms. It’s quiet for the moment but I set my timer for 30 minutes to go check on it. I’m just hoping I don’t wake up to it dead. I read that you can’t exactly die from wry neck but more so if the bird doesn’t eat and drink. Stressful.
Hi, me again… baby made it through the night. It was a risk but really wanted this little guy to grow up with its siblings and raised by mamas so relieved it went the way it did. It still has a kink in its neck but he’s eating and drinking independently and no flipping episodes. I will continue to give it selenium and vitamin drops for the time being (ordered off Amazon and highly recommend!). I was doing the scrambled egg and vit e tablet thing but it’s so hard to figure how much chick is actually getting. Anyway, wanted to follow up by original post in case it helps anyone else out it the future.

Back
Top Bottom