Wyandotte coloring on pullet vs cockerel

carlaashdown

Songster
Jul 9, 2021
SE Georgia, USA
Do Wyandottes color out different depending on gender? I have two GLW that are about 5-6 weeks old. Their size, leg thickness, rate of feathering, comb, etc. have been the same throughout, but their coloring is different. I have other wyandottes and do not remember this happening with them (but it's possible they did, and I just didn't critique them at the time lol). So, I'm thinking the off one is either mixed with another breed/color or is a cockerel.

I have a picture from 2 weeks ago (posted below in comments) but will try to get another one today to attach.

If anyone has a link or pics that show how a cockerel's color would look at this stage, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Do Wyandottes color out different depending on gender? I have two that are about 5-6 weeks old. Their size, leg thickness, rate of feathering, comb, etc. have been the same throughout, but their coloring is different. I have other wyandottes and do not remember this happening with them (but it's possible they did, and I just didn't critique them at the time lol). So, I'm thinking the off one is either mixed with another breed/color or is a cockerel.

I have a picture from 2 weeks ago, but will try to get another one today to attach.

If anyone has a link or pics that show how a cockerel's color would look at this stage, I'd be grateful!

Thanks!
Now and before I knew for sure. I have plenty more baby photos if interested.

Attachments

• 20200707_200548.jpg
    20200707_200548.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200520_105155.jpg
    IMG_20200520_105155.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 20
2 weeks ago.

The one in the back has widespread gold coloring now.

The one in the front has white streaks on the chest, and the streaks/lacing on the body are still sparse. Lighter than the gold color of the other chick, some gold streaks coming in.

Their faces look the same.

I’ll try to get a new pic this evening. They are about 5.5-6 weeks old now.

Attachments

• IMG_7891.jpeg
    IMG_7891.jpeg
    461.7 KB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom