Wyandotte - Help with colors please

TX Chick Noob

DH says I'm obsessed with my chickens 😂
Premium Feather Member
Got 4 chicks that are supposed to be blue laced Wyandottes. Supposedly blue laced gold but could be blue laced red. And of course I have heard blue can turn out to be black or splash. Any early guesses on what these turn out to be?

Also curious about how different the pattern is on the head of one, and another one has a much darker comb.

Apologies that the pictures aren’t the greatest. They never seem to stand still. 😅

When I got them a few days old:
IMG_5875.jpeg

The group about 2 weeks old:
Stripes, Blue, Orange, Yellow
IMG_6246.jpeg

Stripes, Blue, Yellow, Orange
IMG_6250.jpeg

Back to front: Yellow, Stripes, Orange, Blue
IMG_6230.jpeg

IMG_6237.jpeg

Stripes head at a few days old
IMG_5928.jpeg

“Yellow”, dark comb at a few days old
IMG_5940.jpeg

And now
IMG_6217.jpeg

“Orange”
IMG_6221.jpeg

“Blue”
On the left
IMG_6212.jpeg

Last edited:
Got 4 chicks that are supposed to be blue laced Wyandottes. Supposedly blue laced gold but could be blue laced red. And of course I have heard blue can turn out to be black or splash. Any early guesses on what these turn out to be?
None of them have splash lacing, and none of them have light blue lacing either.

Blue can be fairly light or quite dark. Sometimes blue is so dark it looks very similar to black, so I can't be 100% sure about which ones are black vs. blue.

My current best guess is that "blue" migh have blue lacing, "yellow" and "stripes" have black lacing, and I can't make up my mind whether I think "orange" has black or a very dark blue lacing.

Thanks. Is Stripes head pattern “normal” for a Wyandotte?
I think it is within the range of what is normal.

And is there a chance that Yellows darker comb might mean it is a cockerel? They are all supposed to be pullets but I know that isn’t 100% accurate.
A red comb or a bright pink comb at this age would indicate a male.

But that kind of dark comb is just a thing that happens sometimes. It does not tell anything useful about the gender of the chick.

Back
Top Bottom