Wyandottes with poopy butts

Tstraub

Crowing
Apr 6, 2023
Bluffton, Indiana
I have a mixed flock of 7 month old pullets. All three of the Wyandottes always seem to get poop stuck in their feathers under there vents. The vent itself looks clean. No odor. They eat, drink, and lay eggs. Nobody picks on them. If anything they boss the other girls around a little but not anything more than normal chickens being chickens.

It seems like it started shortly after they started laying eggs. Their butts get a little dirty so I trim the poop away with scissors and they look good for a month or so then they need cleaned up again. I also have olive Eggers, Brahma, and a Jersey Giant and they all stay clean. It’s just the Wyandottes and all three of them.

I feed them store brand 16% protein layer crumbles, with some all flock 20% protein mixed in. The all flock isn’t a long term feed just using up the end of a bag I was feeding a batch of chicks until I put everyone together. I tried 2 separate feeders for a while but everyone was eating out of each other’s feeders so I just started mixing it together.

Is this just a Wyandotte thing? Like they just have extra fluff back there that needs trimmed up once in a while? I am attaching a picture of the worst of them. It’s not a great picture but it’s the best I could do with a chicken in one hand and phone camera in the other. Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• F5D83691-FE80-40FD-B8FF-166BE1C825CB.jpeg
    F5D83691-FE80-40FD-B8FF-166BE1C825CB.jpeg
    592.5 KB · Views: 64
It’s just the Wyandottes and all three of them.
I have 3 Black Australorps with this very issue. One much less than the other two. :idunno
It seems like it started shortly after they started laying eggs.
I'm waiting to see what happens with my 4 Bielefelders when they start laying. I think laying has something to do with it. My rooster has always had a nice fluffy butt.

I have a mixed flock of 7 month old pullets. All three of the Wyandottes always seem to get poop stuck in their feathers under there vents. The vent itself looks clean. No odor. They eat, drink, and lay eggs. Nobody picks on them. If anything they boss the other girls around a little but not anything more than normal chickens being chickens.

It seems like it started shortly after they started laying eggs. Their butts get a little dirty so I trim the poop away with scissors and they look good for a month or so then they need cleaned up again. I also have olive Eggers, Brahma, and a Jersey Giant and they all stay clean. It’s just the Wyandottes and all three of them.

I feed them store brand 16% protein layer crumbles, with some all flock 20% protein mixed in. The all flock isn’t a long term feed just using up the end of a bag I was feeding a batch of chicks until I put everyone together. I tried 2 separate feeders for a while but everyone was eating out of each other’s feeders so I just started mixing it together.

Is this just a Wyandotte thing? Like they just have extra fluff back there that needs trimmed up once in a while? I am attaching a picture of the worst of them. It’s not a great picture but it’s the best I could do with a chicken in one hand and phone camera in the other. Thanks for any advice
I have 5 wyandottes under 3 yrs and 1 of them has been bathed 4 times in her life. Mainly because the poopy was on her skin and shes prone to that. It had become red and angry. Otherwise, i dont worry too much. Yours poopy butt looks like nothing to be concerned about but check the skin and make sure urine and poop are not all over her. 🐓❤️

Attachments

• IMG_5757.jpeg
    IMG_5757.jpeg
    416.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5755.jpeg
    IMG_5755.jpeg
    528.1 KB · Views: 11
Thanks for your reply. After I posted this I found out that my wife was giving them apple cores and skins while she was making apple sauce. I believe it was simply a case of the runs from over eating on the apples. Once I got them cleaned up the issue hasn’t returned.

Thanks for your reply. After I posted this I found out that my wife was giving them apple cores and skins while she was making apple sauce. I believe it was simply a case of the runs from over eating on the apples. Once I got them cleaned up the issue hasn’t returned.
I was going to mention that different foods could be the cause! Good luck 🐓❤️

Back
Top Bottom