Wyndotte eggs

MCreery

In the Brooder
May 29, 2020
Dallas GA
so, new to chicken parenting...but so far we've done our research....started in March with "7 pullets" and now have 5 hens and one Barred rock roo (Penter). Hes pretty cool and we'll keep him until we can't. Our 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Barred rock hen and Americana have all been laying for several weeks. Now all 5 hens are 27 weeks old. BUT our sweet Violet, Wyndotte has yet to lay. she will get in the boxes but never does anything. Are they late layers? We have 3 Silkies coming in November (second coop built) but she seems very slow and stand offish? I love the breed but want to do whats right for her....any tips?

It can take Wyandotte’s up to 8 months to lay, sometimes longer. I have two that are 7 months and not laying. One of them looks like she’s not going to lay anytime soon. As you can see with the ones that are laying they get redder combs when they are closer to laying. It’s so hard to wait for the eggs, but it’s worth the wait!

I have had Wyandottes twice & the Columbians started at 20 weeks & my present blues started just shy of 21 weeks. Not all started at the same time of course, but most were laying by 24-25 weeks.

I have three SLW that will be 20 weeks old this week. One has a much bigger and redder comb and wattle and has been squatting for the last week and half. No eggs yet though.

We have a 23 week old Wyandotte (Blue Laced Red) that just squatted for the first time yesterday. She's been poking around the nests too.

She just laid a perfect tiny little egg today! She was in the nest for about 30 minutes, and then when I went to check the box there was no egg. It was out in the run! I wonder if she brought it out there with her?

Back
Top Bottom