Year old peacock already making mating calls?

annarogetta

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
Holden Massachusetts
I have a spalding male, at least 50% green, and he will be a year in May 2015. He is already starting to be vocal and tonight he has been perched up in a tree making calls similar to mating calls. He does occasionally squawk at me in the morning to feed him, but lately if he chooses to stay out of the shed because of the warm weather he will get pretty vocal until it gets really dark.

I just want to know if his hormones are acting up, I have 10ducks that act all hormonal everyday now, and wonder if it is that energy that get him going too, or is this call a scare away call, he did have a mate but she was taken by a fox last fall, and I have been asking around to see if I should get peahens or some chickens to keep him company (made the Lone Peacock post)
I just want to know if I should start being more proactive and get ready for this early maturing bird and I would post in the lone peacock forum but doesn't seem to pick up much
Anyone's input would be helpful, thanks!

Perfectly normal, only way to tell if they are maturing fast or slow is just watch them, i get some that grow a cute little train by 18 months and others have 1 or 2 eye feathers some of my males mate before they turn three and some are 4 and still haven't mated, they prefer to spar with each other or chase and spar with the peacocks that have claimed an area..They are peabrains
lau.gif

Some of my young ones call like sick peas LOL sounds like some one has them by the throat at the end of the call, funny as heck to hear

Where is the lone peacock forum that you speak of?

here it is:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/962683/lone-peacock-problems#post_14992096

He is my first peacock, originally wanted indian blues, and a peachick order was mixed up, i guess, and now i am stuck with him. he does show signs of aggression, but i think he is trying to challenge for dominance, since he is fine a lot of the times i stand right next to him, and when i feed him. he also hangs out and looks into my windows as well as other neighbors, so getting him some company will make him less bothersome, and something to protect and hang with

What do he do when he shows aggression? i have never heard of such a young bird showing aggression, I know they say greens are prone to aggression but even then i never heard of it at such a young age, i have raised all my birds from baby's and have most of them hatch here that are imprinted on people, they will eat from anyones hands and you have to wade threw them to get by sometimes but none have every shown any kind of aggression.

My older males are fighting for territory and i give them plenty's of space when walking by, not because they are aggressive but because i honer their clime to territory ., i see them run off everything in front of them except the peahen but they have never came after me if i accidentally got to close.

I would like to hear more about this aggression i like to learn new things and this is new to me, i am getting pure greens this summer and am trying to understand some of their behavior before they get here because they are said to be much different than the blues i am use to.

IMO a peahen will not give him something to do until mating season, mine go their seperte ways and come togeather for a dust bath or just checking in .

It is nothing too serious, and like I said I believe it is challenging territory/protecting, and he is fine most of the time.
The problem usually arises when I interact with my ducks. If I pick them up or go to one, he will try to chase me or eye me up and have a stand off. Another instance is when I and herding my ducks to another location and he just so happens to get in the way, I try to move forward towards him to move too, but he stands his ground and tried to charge and butt kicks. Usually anytime he feels like your too close to his personal space he will try to do that. Of he casually come up to you he doesn't do anything. Another reason why I need to get him a buddy, because with my peahen that I had, he was a lot better and only got upset when I only approached her.

When he did first cry, it sounded like a burst of a blow horn and then a cooing sound, which I worried if he was distraught, and now it developed into more of a CAW cry

IMO if he is so young and showing any aggression i would not let him run the neighborhood because if he gets older he may get worse, i would be afraid he would cause someone harm , mabe even a child, a peahen isn't going to stop his aggression , may make him worse just sayen
wink.png
I would pen him up just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom