Yep another feed question

longranger

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
laguna hills CA
I want to fatten up a few turkeys for the table that are in a common coop with others that will be next springs breeders. Would fattening up the breeders, within reason of course, have any long term consequence? These are heritage birds and all are about 6 months old. Would plan to return to their regular diet after the target birds are culled. Really don't have facilities to separate them.

I am not an expert on this, but I don't think it would hurt them at all especially with winter coming on. If they were BB's, I'd say definitely not to do it, but since they are heritage, I don't think it will be a problem. I'll be interested to see what other people say.

What would you be using to "fatten them up"?

I plan to use corn gradually increased from 25% to put on some fat. After Culling will return to grower until the first eggs of the season. Then switch to layer mix.

Quote:
That's exactly what I'm planning on doing. I have 13 turkeys, 3 BR's and 10 MW's, all housed together for now. I'll be processing all but the ones I plan on using as next year's breeders.

Back
Top Bottom