Yet another sex-linked color question!

No idea how I was responsible for that insight, but you are more than welcome!
hu.gif

I have a Purple male, and in a year or two my Peach hens will be breeding age. If I were to pair them up I assume female offspring would be Purple, would male offspring be Peach split to Purple?

Purple father X Peach mother = Purple sons split to Peach, and Purple daughters.

:)

Last edited:
This is correct but technically a split peach bird is split cameo and split purple. Assuming that cameo split peach or purple split peach birds actually exist.

Purple father X Peach mother = Purple sons split to Peach, and Purple daughters.

Thank you both! I am going to do this breeding eventually just to see the results, when I do I would like to hang on to at least one male. @Rosa moschata would all sons be Purple split to Peach? If so, and I hold onto one for breeding, is there a way to confirm that he is Purple split Peach? Such as: if paired with IB hen would he produce both Purple and Peach daughters?

Thank you both! I am going to do this breeding eventually just to see the results, when I do I would like to hang on to at least one male. @Rosa moschata
 would all sons be Purple split to Peach? If so, and I hold onto one for breeding, is there a way to confirm that he is Purple split Peach? Such as:  if paired with IB hen would he produce both Purple and Peach daughters?

All sons should be purple split peach. 50% of all females from this male should end up purple! while the other 50% should end up peach, regardless of the hen he is bred with.

Rosa,       how would the sons be purple , not sure I understand ?... connerhills

The theory that peach is the result of purple and cameo crossover. Would suggest that peach carries a double dose of purple and a double dose of cameo (one of each on each chromosome). This means that a purple bred to peach hen, should produce male offspring that have purple on one chromosome and purple and cameo (peach) on the other. That would indicate two purple genes and one cameo, with the two purples being dominant over the single cameo, or at least that is how I see it. The same seems to occur in cameo split peach as well. But in that case, the bird looks almost like a mix of peach and cameo, with slightly more of a cameo look.

Has this been done with breeding results turning out like this ? I would appreciate seeing it if photos were done some time this summer I would guess if more people that have this mix of birds might give it a try also . something else might come out of it. thanks connerhills

It's interesting that what I first asserted years ago is finally becoming accepted -- at least by some. Thank you, Arbor, for answering that for me.

I've now decided to put my purple silver pied hen with my peach male. I'm quite interested in the results. Knowing a purple male from hatch is a bonus, just as a purple hen can be. I understand that the purple male would be split peach, producing some peach hens, but it should be purple visually.

Back
Top Bottom